Looking Alclad Color order….

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Looking Alclad Color order….

Post by BlackSheep214 »

…. when creating realistic exhaust nozzles on modern jets.

I know someone here did a thread using several Alclad colors paint to create realistic exhaust. I’ve searched high and low within these threads but have no luck finding it. I can’t remember who the member was but he did a fantastic job at it. Back then, I had bought a few colors of Alclad and was going to get the rest he used at a later time when I had the funds to get them. Now I can’t remember what the other colors were.

Does anyone recall who the member is and what thread it was? I’m almost thinking this member has not been on here in the last few years since. I’ve been searching off and on these couple years and had no luck. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, I tried search using Alclad but none came up what I was looking for. Am I missing something?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Looking Alclad Color order….

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I recall the Alclad Metallic colors were:
(I have these colors on hand since)

Duraluminum
Pale Burnt Metal
Magnesium
Steel
Jet Exhaust

Gloss Black Base - there was a lot of talk of avoiding using this paint due to long drying tie/tackiness/bad batch, etc…

The only colors I think are left I needed are:

Burnt Iron
Transparent Blue - this color was to be sprayed on last to the burner cans, etc…

I believe those were the colors he used for realistic burner cans. Which aircraft burner cans he did it on is elusive to me. Not sure if it was the F-4 Phantom or the F-15 Eagle.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I use Vallejo Metal Colors and I generally use either "Jet Exhaust" or "Steel". After I paint them, they get a dark wash and sometimes some black pigments on the inside.

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That looks good. But I'm looking for whoever painted the burner cans using Alclad lacquers that look really, really good realistically.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”