Episode IV-VI X-Wing Starfighter, in 1/72

Show of your completed sci-fi products here.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Episode IV-VI X-Wing Starfighter, in 1/72

Post by dmminiatures »

Well, I too got into the Star Wars frenzy. LoL!! A friend came to me early in December and ask if I could work on his Bandai X-Wing. Well, never hesitated on that. I said YES immediately. He just started scale modelling but he was afraid that he would ruin the kit so that is why he ask me to build it.

I always wanted to build one so this is a great opportunity. I completed this model just 40 minute short of midnight on 31 December 2015. it took around 11 hours to complete it.

Its a great little kit. very well engineered. only hassle was the way they engineered is that the pilot needs to be painted and installed BEFORE the cockpit is closed. :bored: I had to literally stop what i was doing and work on the figure first. Arrggh!

That is why the hardest past is that to build this, it needs a bit of choreography. Of course I build it as an ordinarily model plane, but I immediately figured out that was the wrong way to do it (with the pilot figure example): It should be done like building Gundams. :DH:

Painting was all done using Tamiya enamels - a mix of XF-20, XF-19, XF-2 - with Tamiya lacquer thinner. the panel lines was from Tamiya panel line accent color. the matt coat was Gunze Mr. Color flat base No.30.

Bandai gives you decals and stickers. But I prefer to mask and airbrush all the different colored panel lines. it is just easier and you cant mess it up. Chipping was done by dabbing a foam.

Monty / dmminiatures
mostrich
Admin

Re: Episode IV-VI X-Wing Starfighter, in 1/72

Post by mostrich »

Absolutely lovin' it! Looks right like in the movies.

Can't wait for my Y-Wing to arrive from Japan. :shoot:
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

mostrich wrote:Absolutely lovin' it! Looks right like in the movies.

Can't wait for my Y-Wing to arrive from Japan. :shoot:
Thanks!. Man, you will be in for a big surprise Mostrich and a very happy man! When I open my box, i was blown away. Bandai's presentation kills: the way they box their kits, the quality of the instruction sheets. its like they are talking to you "don't throw away the box". Everything makes Tamiya or even more Italeri boxing seem "a galaxy far away." Haahaa
Monty / dmminiatures
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

11 hours? And THAT result? Are you kidding me? :giggles:
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

tigrazor wrote:11 hours? And THAT result? Are you kidding me? :giggles:
Thanks Tigrazor!! Well i didnt count the time the paint needed to dry. LOL.

Its really a simple kit. Like i was counting the whole construction was around 120 minutes. And 50% of it was actually used for seaching the parts in the sprue. Duhhh!

The time for painting and finish is 9 hours. There was a lot of corners i cut. Like the masking of different panel lines was done by making a template. And it wasnt a full mask either.

The Death Star base was a 15 minutes affair. Its basically layers of Tamiya German Grey with Medium Grey with a Mr Surfacer 1500 black primer.

The chipping was using the foam technique. That gave extra speed. Plus the randomness that you want. I am hooked.

I had three airbrushes working at the same time so that help me tremendously in cutting the time needed.

Like the exhausts. Rather than painting them metalics (gun metal or sort) and waste precious time in cleaning the airbrush, i decided to paint them XF-1 and then dry brush gun metal.

The figures took the most time but they were set aside as separate project paralel to the X-Wing.

Monty / dmminiatures
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

ooh, nice and grimy!! :lashed:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is awesome Monty
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Sweet!!!! you lucky dog! :dogwag:

It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! And only 11 hours to build? :bow:

It looks just like some poor rebel mechanic has been trying his best to keep it flying. Amazing work.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

thanks All - I am building its big brother the moving edition 1/48 scale. hope to finish it this week
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Completed Builds: Sci-Fi”