Cold War (and either side) Armor Reference Sites

Find and post armour photos and blueprints here.
Stikpusher

Cold War (and either side) Armor Reference Sites

Post by Stikpusher »

I came across this site awhile back. It's in German, but it has some really great reference stuff of all sorts of Cold War armor & Softskins, including reference photos and camo patterns

http://www.panzerbaer.de/

And this site which I stumbled across a week or so ago about all things Leopard, as in the Leopard 1 & 2 MBTs.... Absolutely fabulous if your a fan of the big kitty like I am.

http://leopardclub.ca/

Enjoy... :tank:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Re: Cold War (and either side) Armor Reference Sites

Post by Jeeves »

Very cool- and despite my lack of German, pretty easy to figure out what is what ;)

Now if only I could find something on the AMX-30B...specifically one in Bosnian service, I'd be golden for the Meng kit I just picked up ;)
Mike
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Jeeves wrote:Very cool- and despite my lack of German, pretty easy to figure out what is what ;)

Now if only I could find something on the AMX-30B...specifically one in Bosnian service, I'd be golden for the Meng kit I just picked up ;)
I saw some during my time there on the base down in Mostar. They were in the French version of the NATO three color camo, but their green and brown are lighter and brighter than the US & German equivalents.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Thanks-- I think I saw somewhere that they no longer wore the national markings- is that true?
Mike
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Jeeves wrote:Thanks-- I think I saw somewhere that they no longer wore the national markings- is that true?
I can not honestly say on that. Most of the Euro countries had a very small version of their flag for their national markings up on the bumpers or bow and rear plates. The only country that I can think of that prominently still displays a national marking are the Germans with their cross. All I can suggest is to do an image search for SFOR or IFOR AMX-30 or AMX-30 Bosnia. or KFOR AMX-30 as the markings there are identical and from the same era except for the KFOR/SFOR thing.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I found this photo of the IFOR French 155s. If your look close on the serial on the bow plate you can see a tiny tri color preceding the actual serial number

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Ah yes-- interesting...that would be an interesting way to make it pop a bit-- now if only Archer would release some dry transfers ;)
Mike
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What sort of decals does the kit come with? In any case, have a look at Echelons product line. They have a lot of armor decals and may have something for this.

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

There is an olive green and NATO tricolor scheme with French markings...but I may try sizing down a Bosnian flag and subbing it in for the French one on the front....
Mike
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

What a great link! Finally, I can add the M-7 Priest to my German army. I wish I could read the rest of this though. Good find Carlos!

Now if I could find a link to show all the Russian and Eastern European vehicles assimilated into the German Army after the reunification. I'd love to add some more Russian-made vehicles to my German Army to go with my German T-72 and BMP-1. I have to admit, I think there's something really cool about seeing modern German crosses on Russian equipment!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Armour Photos and Blueprints”