Time to upgrade? (Airbrush discussion)

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Time to upgrade? (Airbrush discussion)

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Yes, compressors can make of break your whole AB experience and result. I have a Hansa silent compressor. Works like a charm. Before that I had a Revell Beta, really entry level stuff, pulsating air, no pressure dial etc.
The Hansa compressor is actually made in Italy. It think there is one big factory there that makes compressors for several brands like Hansa and Eurtec.
ImageImageImageImageImage
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

My first AB was an Aztek A470 which came in the wooden box with several exchangeable nozzles.
Been quite happy with the Aztek but after a year I thought it was time for something more sophisticated.

I went to a local (part-time) airbrush shop to buy one of these highly acclaimed H&S Evolution 2in1.
The shop owner, being a scale modeler himself, is a really nice guy and we had a great conversation - shop talking at its best. Since he's giving airbrush courses, we eventually ended up in his private modeling shack where I could take a stab at each available airbrush - H&S, Badger, Gabbert, Grex, Hansa, Olympos and Iwata - a true bonanza.

To cut a long story short, I finally got stuck with an Iwata HP-C plus.
Once I had sprayed the first streak of colour, I knew we would become best friends. And so we are down to the present day. A few weeks ago another Iwata has joined in - a Micron CM-C.

Anyway, I'm always eager to try something new. I'm going to attend the 50th Anniversary IPMS-USA National Convention in Hampton, VA. Grex USA being one of the vendors in place, I'm eager to give their GXi a try during the show.

Compressor:
My first compressor was a Werther Sil-Air 20A, which has served loyally for almost 15 years. A few months ago, the Sil-Air 20A made its ultimate sacrifice and was replaced by a Sil-Air 20D. Grossly identical to the 20A but it comes with a 4-liter tank and is just as quiet as a whisper (30db).
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I've played around some with the Grex Airbrushes that have been demoed at our model show a few times and was very impressed. The one they had to use was one with a pistol trigger and man that was nice!

I just got a new air compressor recently. It's a Master Airbrush compressor.

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Post by DoogsATX »

I've played around with many airbrushes over the past few years, and in the end so much of it comes down to feel.

My favorite, hands down, is the Iwata HP-C+. It's just a stellar brush - excellent atomization, great trigger feel with enough resistance to provide feedback so you feel like you know where it's at at all times. Only downside I've yet to find is that it's not so great with water-based acrylics (Vallejo, AK, AMMO, Lifecolor) for some reason. With Model Master enamels, Tamiya, Gunze etc it's a champ.

Other favorites:

- Grex Genesis XN: was my go-to acrylics airbrush until some clear gloss (think it was the Testors Aztek Gloss) trashed it.

- Grex Genesis XGI: same internals as the pistol-grip Tritium, in the traditional stick shape. The non-slip stuff is useless, but thankfully easy to strip away. It's got the same magnetic needle caps, swappable paint cups. Cleans exceptionally easily.

- Iwata Revolution M: Excellent single-action bomb brush for clear coats

- PleasedShop AB36E: It looks basically like a knockoff of the Iwata HP-B, but it's a decent little sprayer and cleans easily. Downside is that the nozzle is very weak (mine snapped). Upside is that it's $10.70.

Good, but not for me:

- Grex Tritium XG: a very nice airbrush mechanically, but the pistol trigger just does not work with how I paint (small). Found myself getting very carpal-tunnel-esque symptoms from using it.

- Badger Patriot 105: Could never get a good feel for this airbrush. The double-taper on the needle made it feel rather unpredictable...like going from "no paint" to "OMG PAINT" without warning. Much bigger fan of the linear build with Iwata, H&S and Grex

- Badger Renegade Velocity: Barrel is too thin, hard to get a comfortable hold on the thing. Weird finish made it a PITA to clean (though I've heard the Krome line fixes that).

- Harder & Steenbeck Evolution & Infinity: Needles seem very soft compared to Iwata. Trigger mechanism is effortless, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just prefer more "weight". Biggest frustration for me is the tendency to spatter when you get on the air but leave the needle closed. All ABs do this from time to time, but I found it constant with the H&S brushes. Frustrating for doing really close in stuff.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

DoogsATX wrote:...Biggest frustration for me is the tendency to spatter when you get on the air but leave the needle closed. All ABs do this from time to time, but I found it constant with the H&S brushes. Frustrating for doing really close in stuff.
That´s strange. I never ever had this to happen with mine (1x H&S Evolution 2n1, 2x Infinity).

Return to “Modeling Discussion”