The Mighty Eighth Official TEaser

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Re: The Mighty Eighth Official TEaser

Post by tigrazor »

scorpiomikey wrote:Looks interesting.
My concern is "Based on true events" has lost its meaning. Writers and directors seem to use it as a gimmick to make a "Historical" movie and then use artistic license to butcher the real story. In 1942 the Americans never raided Kassel. In fact out of 20 raids. 1 was by the Americans. In B-24's. In 1944.

This string of "War Movies" that are coming out (Starting with red tails) would benefit a huge amount by a tiny tiny amount of fact checking. If they wanted a "High Profile" target to use for the movie they could have used Dresden. Almost identical results, but it was done by the 8th.

Indeed. My grandmother lost one of her sisters there, and went through the firestorm. Kassel? Oh well... I spoke to a B-17 pilot when I visited the United States of Awesomeness back in 2009 and talked long about the Dresden raid (not only because I live 30 km western of the most beautiful capital except Prague. ;)

Miniseries... Mhm - something like Band Of Brothers and The Pacific then. And Game Of Thrones of course. ;D :D

Dresden 1945:

https://www.google.de/search?q=dresden+ ... CAgQ_AUoAQ

and now

https://www.google.de/search?q=dresden+ ... l&tbm=isch
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, from actual events, US bombers did not fly over Germany proper until early 1943. January I think it was. The 1942 raids were all against occupied France by the 8th AF. And most of those were against u-boat pens with fighter support. Mind you co ordination with the fighters was still being learned. And there were only two German fighter wings along the whole channel coast to give opposition: JG-2 and JG-26 at that time. It was not until late October of 42 or so before they had developed enough of a feel for the B-17 to start giving them a rough time. I could go on and on. For an accurate historical film when the 8th was suffering more attrition than could be sustained, it would have to be in Summer/Fall 1943.

If we are lucky, we will get a good 8th AF movie in the not too distant future, and an HBO miniseries as well. At the least we should be getting the HBO series, and another movie to groan over afterwards... IF the movie ever gets made...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Again - it's a teaser - not an offical movie release preview. I do agree on all points Hollywood don't do enough research on historical accounts. Red Tails is one good example although it is an entertaining movie. It is rumoured to be released and as far to my knowledge Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg are involved in the making of this movie. I believe it's supposed to be only on HBO.
No. The HBO/Hanks/Spelberg project is completely different. That is gonna be another HBO miniseries, not a theatrical film in cinemas or straight to DVD/Blu Ray. This one is gonna be done by the guy who did "300". That probably accounts for the more "comic book" (AKA Graphic Novel for those who are too cool to read comic books) style of this as well.

After watching that teaser clip a few more times tonight, I have to say stik is correct. I don't see Hanks/Speilberg making this into a Hollywood/gimmicky film. I see them doing it as a HBO mini series similar to Band of Brothers and The Pacific. The teaser certainly doesn't fit the bill a motion picture made by Hanks and Speilberg.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Free Discussion”