1/350 USS U-2513

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

1/350 USS U-2513

Post by Scruffy »

I bought this kit a couple weeks ago on a whim, Scalemates says it is a new tool, however I am almost certain it is the old DML kit from the 90's. That is not a bad thing as it is still a good kit, however, I did build that kit back in the day when it was first issued and didn't really feel the need to build it again. But since I had spent the money on it, I decided to just build it instead of whining about it.

One nice feature of this kit is that it comes with a nice decal sheet with makings for four boats. The option of U-2513 proved to be of particular interest because if I have a choice I like to build things that had a local connection, and it seems that U-2513 spent some time at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard having work done. Surrendered in Norway at the end of the war, it was sailed to Scotland, and given to the U.S., and then sailed across the Atlantic and arriving in Portsmouth. While in U.S. service, the boat was the 2nd submarine to carry a U.S. President while submerged and was used to develop submarine and ASW tactics for the USN. When its batteries expired and could no longer be charged it was again stored at Portsmouth before being towed down to the Florida keys and sunk by anti ship rockets.
There are not many (ok no) construction photos as the kit is pretty simple and I stuck parts together here and there either before work in the afternoon or in the wee hours of the morning after I got home, so nothing really interesting to see there.

Painting was done with Model Master RAL7016 Anthracitgrau below the waterline, and RAL7000 KMS 51 dark grey (which is not that dark) above the waterline. The RAL7000 was over sprayed with RAL7001 KMS 50 light grey (same hue, just lighter) to break up the dark grey. These were KMS colors commonly used on U-Boats.

The decals were applied; and while clearly printed, of the six decals I applied 4 broke apart before I tried removing them from the backing paper. I managed to piece them back together so all good. The U-2313 wore her number on the sail and the hull, however as I wanted to show her in her wartime condition I used the earliest picture of her I could find, which showed her number on the sail, and smaller in size that the sail decals in the kit. However, I lucked out again as the hull numbers looked to be the correct size so I used those on the sail. At some point after arriving in the U.S. the AA turrets on the top of the sail were removed and the horizontal surfaces were painted a very dark grey, the numbers on the sail were repainted several times, at one point in the style of USN letters of the period with a black drop shadow, and the numbers were also added to the hull. As far as I can determine, the configuration of the model represents the U-2513 as it appeared when she made her first stop in the U.S. at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the summer of 1945.

So, at this point I am adding a bit of weathering and hopefully will call this one finished rather soon :grin:
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: 1/350 USS U-2513

Post by Thomas_M »

The beautiful lines of a Typ XXI boat! I wonder how long I will have to wait for a 1/72 scale kit, as Revell did them.
Great job doing this one, the colours look so good! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks good. Think you can get us some photos against a plain background to really show off this little beauty?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great looking boat. Nice lines.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Thank you guys, appreciate the comments.
Thomas_M wrote:The beautiful lines of a Typ XXI boat! I wonder how long I will have to wait for a 1/72 scale kit, as Revell did them.
Great job doing this one, the colours look so good! :shoutout:

Revell makes one in 1/144 scale, though it would be nice if they did scale it up!
Stikpusher wrote:Looks good. Think you can get us some photos against a plain background to really show off this little beauty?
Thank you Stik, I am hoping to finish it up tonight, so then will take better photos with a backdrop.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Congratulations!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a superb looking build Scruffy!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Amazing build it's actually bigger than I thought it would be in 1/350. Reading this makes me want to break out a U-boat from the stash.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Thank you, appreciate the comment. It is a decent size, and not a bad kit at all.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”