Musashi Wreck

Here is the place to show off your completed ship products.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Musashi Wreck

Post by Duke Maddog »

OMG!!! I cannot come up with words sufficient enough to express my complete astonishment at the intense realism I see here!
WOW!!! It does make me wonder; what happened to the center section and upper superstructure? How did she split apart? I remember reading how she kept getting lower at the bow until she just plowed under bow first.

Man! I'm truly blown away; gobsmacked beyond measure!

Thank you ever so much for posting this! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

From what I’ve read, both Yamato and Musashi exploded underwater after sinking. Both of their wrecks are in similar condition. Just a guess on my part, but that tells me it’s something in the design leading to catastrophic explosion in the center of the ship, either in the engine machinery or main battery ammunition magazines. Many other sunken battleships that have been found, such as Bismarck and Kirishima, usually have their hulls in one piece.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Duke, I believe the accepted fate was that she suffered a magazine explosion while on the the way down. The center section, main turrets and superstructure are scatted for miles, the only closest large object near the bow and stern is an aircraft catapult which were located at the stern.
During at attack the crew released the, I believe the port anchor, in an attempt to keep her somewhat upright. The captain was attempting to make shallow waters but was nowhere near it, she sank in 3000 meters.
The Japanese torpedo belt theory was a less armored bulge with the standard hull armored thickness behind it, I guess theory was to detonate the torpedo prior to the force reaching the hull. The bulge was actually much thinner that ours was, hence depicted in the build using aluminum from a can. That just acted to concentrate the force of the explosion. It was an attempt to increase protection without adding massive weight.The Germans in contrast, like ourselves, used a heavily armored bulge which absorbed much of the explosion. As the Bismark was capsizing, some of the reports said most of her belt was just dented from the airborne torpedoes.
The Japanese torpedoes were extremely good with massive warheads an this is what one sub launched torp did to the torpedo belt of the North Carolina in the Solomon's.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, thanks for the information guys. Yeah, I know the Yamato had exploded; she did so before slipping under the waves. And that pic of the North Carolina explains the one scene I saw in "Too Young the Hero". Very cool.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Ooh, had missed this totally!

A very extraordinary build, amazing!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/