Some Allied Armor Rebuilds

Completed works that you have decided to upgrade, repair or otherwise do some re-working
Stikpusher

Some Allied Armor Rebuilds

Post by Stikpusher »

I have been working on upgrading/rebuilding a couple of old Sherman’s of mine. Both were originally built back in the late 80s, probably around 1988 or so, back when all I had for reference was the Squadron “Sherman In Action” book.
I’ll start with this Tamiya M4A3. It started life as a Firefly conversion (I didn’t know any better due to zero reference on the Sherman Firefly), on which I used a Verlinden Firefly turret. I also added the hull ammo bin external armor plates. Long story short, no Sherman Firefly tanks were made off of wet stowage large hatch welded late production 75mm gun tank hulls. I took no photos of that build back then. When MP Models released their M4A4 hull a few years later, I took the Verlinden Firefly parts off this kit and used them with the MP M4A4 for a proper Sherman Vc Firefly. Anyways, the M4A3 hull languished for years after, until I took an Academy late T23 turret and adapted the two to fit one another. Then after searching my now adequate Sherman reference books in my library, I decided to fit out the kit with sandbags and spare tracks on the glacis and turret as was often seen in 1945 in NW Europe....

Here is the early stages, and as it looks now, just needing a bit more stowage, some markings, and weathering.

The second is the old Nichimo/Hasegawa/Minicraft M4A1 early production kit built around the same time. And built straight OOB, aside from a hedgerow prong that I originally scratched up, but later removed and got rid of. Again I took no photos of the original build. A few years ago I decided that I wanted to revamp the kit into the type seen with 1st Armored Division during early 1944 in Italy. I did try a “new” OD paint at that point, but I was not too happy with the look. Older photos were taken at that point. A few weeks ago, I tried a different new OD shade and was very happy with it. I recently added a camo pattern of Earth Red, along with some white countershading as was used at that place and time. I replaced the kit .30 cal. gun barrels with some much better resin ones that I had in my spares bin, as well as the kit .50 with a slightly modified .50 from my spares bin. I also added some Value Gear stowage and replaced the kit TC figure with one from Miniart. Again, I still need to do markings and weathering, but for now it looks much better...
Before and after...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: Some Sherman Rebuilds

Post by LyleW »

Looks better, but the originals seemed okay to me.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Lyle. The originals were ok, and typical of my skill level back then. I guess that you now can say that they are now better than they were.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Thanks Lyle. The originals were ok, and typical of my skill level back then. I guess that you now can say that they are now better than they were.
And that is the important part!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very cool, Stik. And kudos for revisiting old builds. Needs some will to do so.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I would say pretty significant difference between old and new!

"New" versions of course better, but must say, kudos for the original as well!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, I salute you for your persistent approach to improving these models. Both are coming along so darn well! I really would like to know more how you de-assemble and repaint the models. Often times I read (as an armchair armor modeler, for sure!) of builds where nearly the entire model is assembled and then it is primed and painted. This absolutely bakes my noodle as it is the opposite of anything done with aircraft. I know you are busy but I am curious how you would in the case of the first model deassemble a turret, for example?

:hmm:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Torben, the will comes from seeing them on the shelf alongside newer builds. When you’re talking a thirty year time span, some differences are glaring... and the mind starts to get ideas... how can we fix this... :hmm:

Kari, the A1 (rounded cast hull) hasn’t had much physical change, it’s mostly cosmetic. The A3, on the other hand, has seen some major changes. I wish that I had taken photos of the original build to show just how much.

Bruce, there was no turret dis assembly involved. The Firefly turret was simply removed, and an Academy late model T23 built and installed in its place. Other details were added or removed as needed to complete the conversion over time. And then some improvised work where needed for the turret adaptation.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Super work on those old kits Carlos - you've really spruced them up!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Stuart. I find it fun, relaxing, and a bit enlightening to do these overhauls of old builds.

FLSM

Return to “In The Restoration/Upgrade Bay”