Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 250/3, Tunisia, 1942.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
mostrich
Admin

Re: Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 250/3 'Greif,' Tobruk, Libya, 1942.

Post by mostrich »

Stikpusher wrote:I’d echo 90% of the above except for the Dunkelgelb. That color did not appear until early 1943. Braun or Braungelb.
Ha, you got me! All those color terms... :bag:
AK's Real Colors provides a whole range of German WWII yellow and sand tones. But considering the state of the vehicle in most of the pictures there is no "exact" tone. So many sand brown shadings to play with.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:I’d echo 90% of the above except for the Dunkelgelb. That color did not appear until early 1943. Braun or Braungelb.
Ha, you got me! All those color terms... :bag:
AK's Real Colors provides a whole range of German WWII yellow and sand tones. But considering the state of the vehicle in most of the pictures there is no "exact" tone. So many sand brown shadings to play with.
Oh I know... Dark yellow is just lighter and brighter than the tropen colors. Start with something close to those and have fun mixing your own sun bleached & weather worn colors... then weather the crap out of them with sand dust... the final results are hardly comparable to the start point.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Torben and Carlos!

First and most important: gentlemen, I salute you!

Whilst keeping my eyes peeled for armor finishing techniques, I saw the “Maus” reposted on FB. I previously shared these with Carlos but I do so again because the scale of the effect is quite right, although the amount of the weathering is disproportionate to the projected reality. The Great Oz has spoken, or to put it bluntly, I give my opinion, such as it is. If I was a Maus crewman I would assume the model to depict a derelict version of my beloved uh, tank animal. Anyway, I respect the modeler greatly for these achievements.

I had not thought of oils, Torben, but now I will get some and practice, practice, practice. I found your reference to El Dorado quite relevant, and especially exciting when placed in context of weathering Rommel’s Rod. The aggressive pursuit of one goal, being a city of gold or a city of sand, does define humanity’s achievements. “Aguirre: Wrath of God” remains a personal favorite of gold lusting in the deepest darkness of our hearts.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

KSaarni wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:Kari, so nice to hear from you. My car—my personal command vehicle—is overheating again, so I am distracted, perhaps I should be building a model to combat the distraction, but I feel cabin fever is upon me. Soon I must leave the apartment.
Auch! I really hope it's an easy (read cheap) fix, a broken thermostat or so...

- Kari
Thanks, Kari. Sincerely. I replaced the thermostat and pressure tested the radiator. It must be a leak in the hoses which I am unable to see.

P.S. Kari—I salute you! I am most grateful for your advice and following your projects! I am starting to scribble a blue line - that last drive wheel is placed much too high, though.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

A heavily weathered Rommel’s Rod... :hmm: Now that is a 180* opposite than the usual Cherried out hot rod look for that kit that people usually do... but quite fitting with the skeletons inside. Sort of “Pirates of the Caribbean” look.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, I believe you should make that vision come to life with a lot of sand—a howling sandstorm in the desert! I was going to add something else but the thought of the diorama overwhelmed my mind.

:whiteflag:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I remembered! Where do I find spare links to attach to the front of the vehicle? I don’t know if anyone makes links. This is where I am blind stumbling in the dark with armor builds! Tracks! Help!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

speedgraflex wrote: I had not thought of oils, Torben, but now I will get some and practice, practice, practice. I found your reference to El Dorado quite relevant, and especially exciting when placed in context of weathering Rommel’s Rod. The aggressive pursuit of one goal, being a city of gold or a city of sand, does define humanity’s achievements. “Aguirre: Wrath of God” remains a personal favorite of gold lusting in the deepest darkness of our hearts.
Man, a Herzog/Kinski reference on a modeling forum. Bruce, there must be a long evening in our future where we can talk about all those things. I'm sure it'll be enlightening.
speedgraflex wrote: I remembered! Where do I find spare links to attach to the front of the vehicle? I don’t know if anyone makes links. This is where I am blind stumbling in the dark with armor builds! Tracks! Help!
No spare links in the kit? Mostly there are more than actually needed to finish the tracks.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Torben, thanks so much for your reply and the words of wisdom. There is a lot to process with every project, which sits in direct correlation with how far one wishes to create an accurate rendition of the reality. That is probably an understatement here within these halls, but I feel that the more open one is to making the attempt, the better the project becomes... even if it is a stepping stone to another model.

Ah—Herzog and Kinski. What a pair! I look forward to the discussion! The alchemy! I was thinking to recommend Cabeza de Vaca, “Horse’s Head” a film based on the memoir of a shipwrecked Spanish accountant who becomes the witch doctor of an Amazonian tribe to you. It breathes the same air in its telling as Wrath of God.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:Carlos, I believe you should make that vision come to life with a lot of sand—a howling sandstorm in the desert! I was going to add something else but the thought of the diorama overwhelmed my mind.

:whiteflag:

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”