My camera

Just what it says. Tell us about your "stuff"
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: My camera

Post by KSaarni »

My stuff,

a Nikon D5200 & a Canon Powershot S100

The macro feature of the small Canon is better than on the biggie Nikon, but when it comes to everything else, Nikon whipes the poor Canon off the table.. :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

Not too long ago I sold my collection of (bulky) SLRs (Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1-D) swapping them for something handier.

I was able to purchase a brandnew Leica M9 plus four lenses and accessories for a fair price at a local compulsory auction. Most folks attending the auction had never heard of that brand, so I ended up being the only bidder.

Cam #2: Nikon Coolpix P7800
Cam #3: My smartphone 8-)
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The Leica is a neat camera. My daughter-in-law is actually named after the brand....Aleica (a-leesha). Her mom was a Leica fan.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Post by DoogsATX »

I'm a Nikon guy. My dad shot Nikon and I guess I inherited the preference from him (despite a late-90s settling for a Minolta SLR). I've got his old Nikkormat and probably a half dozen lenses for it. Learned photography on that camera and LOVE IT. It was so manual that you had to advance and wind the film yourself, set everything by hand. Metering? Pfft! The metering consists of a + sign on one side of the viewfinder, a - sign on the other, and a big needle that swings between them.

Since going digital, I've had four Nikon DSLRs - a D100, D80, D300s and now a D610. Sold the D100 several years ago, but I've still got the 80 and 300s bodies safe and sound. But the D610 just rocks the house. Big, full-frame sensor, excellent low-light, super-high resolution.

Lenswise, I use Nikon's 50mm f/2 prime lens for most work, and a 60mm macro in manual focus for the close-in work with cockpits and such.

When I'm just doing lazy bench WIP photography, I've got a Canon S90 point-and-shoot. As much as I love Nikon DSLRs, Canon cleans their clock in point-and-shoots.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Matt, wonderful explanation! Very clearly stated. I took the liberty to split this out and move it to the Tips/Discussion areal. Thanks for the information.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
One-Oh-Four

Post by One-Oh-Four »

In the film days being a school boy I first bought an East German camera: the Praktica MTL-5B with a Pentacon 50mm lens. It was an f/1.8 lens, so nothing to be ashamed about!I also got a 55-200 Sigma zoomlens with it. It really wasn't bad to start with. I just couldn't afford an upmarket European or Japanese camera.

After a couple of years, and having a steady job I could upgrade to the Minolta 7000 with a 28-85mm kit lens. Autofocus, woohoo!!!!! Minolta did that with the AF-motor in the body that drove a shaft in the lens which moved the lens parts. So autofocus wasn't really fast... I got myself a Tokina 70-210mm lens too.

Another couple of years later I convinced myself (easy) and my wife (not so easy) that I positively needed to upgrade the camera body. So I bought a Minolta Dynax 7Xi. Looking back, I must've been mad. The marketing of that camera was that you got the basic camera and neede to purchase additional chipcards for extra features like multiple exposures etc. Needless to say that these cards were hugely expensive! I have made some pretty awesome photos (in my own opinion) with it but slowly but surely my SLR's faded to the background. Especially because of the appearance of affordable digital compact cameras.

Only, there's a couple of things you just couldn't do with those compacts: sports/action/aviation and photographing with low light. For the first the AF wasn't fast enough and the shutter lag was too long. In the second case you got noise from the sensor that almost looked psychedelic.

So, after looking around I decided to buy a DSLR; the Nikon D80 with the 18-200mm zoom that sported VR - Vibration Reduction.

Happily shooting about with that combo for a year or four, I started looking for a meaningful upgrade. Usually the most meaningful upgrade is the glass; lenses. So I got myself some high-end zooms; the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II. Both lenses are optically much better than the 18-200mm "convenience-zoom" and they get more light to the AF-sensors, so the AF is apt to be faster and more accurate, especially in ah... European weather.

Only.... The D80 was showing the age of it's sensor next to it's younger kin, so I couldn't resist upgrading the body too..... That became the Nikon D7000, the "grandson" of the D80.

I gave my D80 to my eldest son and he's happily snapping away with it!

There is a drawback to the D7000; the buffer is small so if you're using the "continuous" mode while shooting sports or aviation, it'll slow down and start stuttering because it first has to write some photo's to the card before it can take new ones to fill the buffer.

So now two years after obtaining the D7000 it's complemented with the Nikon D800 full-frame camera and the new version Nikkor 80-400mm lens.
Bring on the Big Gun:

Which BTW, yields results like these:

This year I decided that my 10-year old was long enough enthousiastic with an old compact so I got him a 2nd-hand Nikon D60.

BTW; I took the pics of the cameras quickly and rather sloppy: with such a big aperture that the Depth-Of-Field is waaaay too shallow! I you look carefully, you'll see that the photo is in focus, only the front and back aren't because of the shallow DoF! ;)

As for taking pics of my models; in the Praktica days I used rings between the body and the 50mm lens. Nowadays I use the D7000 with the 24-70 or with my Sigma 105mm Macro. The D7000 is a better camera for this task than the D800 because it's smaller sensor makes that I can use a somewhat bigger aperture than with the D800. Of course I have the camera on a tripod when shooting and use an IR remote.

Cheers,
Erik.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Quite the photographic journey you have going there, one-oh-four.
One-Oh-Four

Post by One-Oh-Four »

Yeah, but it spans almost 30 years.... Although the last 10 were the most expensive! ;)
I think I'll just be satisfied for the coming years.... Although if Nikon would eventually introduce a successor to the venerable D300(s), I don't know if I can contain myself. That one would be optimal for aircraft and birds...
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I've heard good things about the D3200 DSLR. JimD just got one. I have a D5000 that I like a lot.

Return to “Cameras and Equipment”