watch for emergency vehicles

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: watch for emergency vehicles

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote:Very true Medic. Although Vehicle Code laws vary by state, even when the emergency vehicle has the right of way, the driver still needs to clear the intersection safely. Those lights and siren are not a force field to protect you...
I thought that's what I said. :lol:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

JimD wrote:I have an uncle who was a sheriff in small town Mississippi. I remember him telling me one time years ago that their SOP was to not use lights and sirens when responding to calls because they generally freaked people and caused them to act in an unpredictable manner. With stories like this I can see where that may be a very logical conclusion. I just don't think it can be reality in a city this size. Wasn't that long ago I was on 45 (interstate) during gridlock rush hour and had an ambulance trying to get through lanes and people just sitting there stupid like. :?
Yeah but where are they supposed to go (the other drivers)? Sometimes it's easier to run without lights and sirens cause no one freaks out that way. Unfortunately going to calls we have to run emergency traffic.
Mike

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I'm not familiar with this intersection. It looks like the ambulance hit the guy in the driver's side as he was making a right turn onto the highway from an intersecting street. One dead, one trainer with a fractured sternum, tibia and patella and one new hire (a month) in the ICU.

A couple of weeks ago we had a pedestrian killed by a cement truck...you know, those huge ones. The driver never knew he hit her. She apparently walked into the middle part of the truck and was grabbed and dragged by the rear wheels. She may have been texting or pre-occupied with her phone. Was dragged a 1/4 mile or so and not much left.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Mike

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Sad, so sad.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Free Discussion”