Latest Diorama Idea: How Abrams are made

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Latest Diorama Idea: How Abrams are made

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:41 am
Medicman71 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:25 am The Abrams are just badass looking! I need to build one eventually.
Yes on both points! :ballbat:
Who has the best one in 1/35?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That depends on which version you want to model. There aren't too many choices for the early 105mm gun versions, but the 120mm A1 and A2 variants have lots more options. But those have been in service for 30+ years now, so there are many sub variants to choose from. Decide which version you want, then look at kits.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

Medicman71 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:47 am
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:41 am

Yes on both points! :ballbat:
Who has the best one in 1/35?

I built the old Tamiya M1A1 last year, which was my first Abrams. it was a pretty quick and simple build. I can't speak to the accuracy, and I am sure there is a lot to be desired in a kit this old, but I thought it was a fair representation. It absolutely needed a stowage set with those massive turret baskets.

It lit a fire in me, I added several more variations to the stash since.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great Robert. The figures add so much. Well done.
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

That does look great! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Here is my oldest M1 Abrams, the original Tamiya kit from the early 80's, the basic 105mm Gun Tank. I always like the clean look of the design at this point.

I've got a few more built M1s in my collection, another basic, slightly modified M1, plus a couple of early M1A1s.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Stik! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike. I need to redo the antennas on this one and repair the loaders M240 barrel. I built that back when everything in the Army that I saw was in MERDC camo. I didn't know at the time that only the Armor School at Knox and the Ft Hood 2nd Armored Division Brigades were pretty much the only units in that scheme. Nearly all the rest were in overall Forest Green FS 34079.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

This is the original Academy M1A1, the last Abrams that I built, with a Verlinden upgrade. You'll probably want to skip this kit as Academy goofed and used thee basic M1 turret dimensions and not the M1A1 turret dimensions, which has something like another 6 or 8 inches of additional armor on the turret face. Yeah, it looks like an M1A1 when built, but if you know the differences, it's not quite right. It has the rubber chevron T156 tracks that M1's and early M1A1s used. The T158 full pad "big foot" tracks were introduced when the M1A1 HA (heavy armor) with added depleted uranium armor was introduced and increased the weight of the tank. Larger surface contact area to better spread out the added weight.

I am working on some Dragon crew figures for this, and need to finish adding the stowage, and some antennas.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I did the Tamiya Abrams when it first came out back in yhe 80s.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Free Discussion”