56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Completed-04/15

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Re: 56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Still Goin...03/22

Post by speedgraflex »

Wow! Looks good. What will be your layout over the shape itself? I have seen some pretty radical shapes... such as this:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks fellas.

Bruce:
No....................not quite that elaborate. I actually had that kit (Revell Ed Roth 56-F-100) and I'll not be going crazy like that dude did. Mine'll be in the front only. Here's the one that you've got in the picture:

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Something along the same pattern as this is what I'm shooting for:

I built that one with my own twist to it a couple of years ago-I went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard with that one.

My "Demon I" build:

I used solder for exhaust pipes and wire for all the brake line plumbing and about 8 different kits to make this thing. :headslap:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Joe!

That truck is absolutely incredible—it is a showstopper—it is definitely in the top level of modeling I have seen. I was holding my breath when I saw what was underneath all of the gob smackin’ goodness! Good gravy! It looks drive-able!

Congratulations!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Well thanks Bruce. I learned a lot from this build..............primarily NOT to go that far again.

The rolling chassis shot:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That was a great reply; I wasn’t expecting that. You went for it, and the results are uncanny. I know what you mean about refining your approach and keeping your priorities. It is so easy to find the “trees in the forest” as fascinating as the forest itself.

That is one brilliant job of modeling a truck chassis. And a key feature of modeling is I have no idea what the scale is: it could be 1:1.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Bruce. I think one of the things that I enjoyed most about that build was the engine. It was the first time I had displayed throttle linkage, especially for two carburetors, and the throttle return spring which is made from a 1:1 scale turn signal bulb lighting element. Had lots of fun in hangin' out in this area.......

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

and now...............back to the build at hand............

I masked off and painted the flames this morning. I personally think they are a tad bit too bold but...................I think they'll tone down with a clear coat some. Just gotta wait a day or so before I do clear the cab and hood.

Which brings me to the rest of the build. That paint is cured out and I've wet sanded and fixed all the small errors so..................why not??

First off after decanting the "Wet Look" gloss (remember..........I told you) I've gotta let it air out. This photo was taken about a half a minute after I decanted it if that gives you any idea just how aeriated this stuff is:

and here's after about 4-5 minutes all hooked up and we're "ready for take off".......

Starting with the bottom first and after a couple of mist coats and let the part being painted sit for a minute or so I go for the wet coats. This photo is after about 15 minutes in the drying booth. The "Wet Look" is one of the best gloss coats I've worked with. Man I love this stuff!!!!

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what the reflection in the paint is. :wink: I won't be seeing this part again for another 3-5 days so it can cure out.

KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: 56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Flames & Clearcoat-03/23

Post by KSaarni »

Looking super-shiny-cool-good Joe !

I remember very well the previous Ford and indeed, the engine work there was outstanding! To be honest, it the entire build was fantastic, I think you are way too critical!

What exactly is that Wet gloss paint ? Brand etc, wonder if that is available on these side of the lake ... :
hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Re: 56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Flames & Clearcoat-03/23

Post by speedgraflex »

Your work is beautiful, Mustang Joe! Apologies for the time delay on my end! I read your post earlier today, then started to slide into the crappy, coughing, hacking, sweating, feverish mess I currently am from whatever virus is currently being spread around Southern California! And I really want to apologize for not writing when I was still feeling pretty decent. The silver-platinum "licks" are just right for the intense black color coat; the whole demeanor of the truck changed up as you gave it some serious personality. Congratulations!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”