1/48 A-7B VA-93

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/48 A-7B VA-93

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Bruce...

Today was an easy day... airbrush on a coat of Future, and start getting the decals ready.

Since the Fowler sheet does not have anything beyond the modex and squadron markings, I will be getting national insignia, stencils, and that sort of stuff from an old Superscale sheet in my decal stash that I happen to have two of.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is looking really nice! Great work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Lyle. Tomorrow once the decals start going on it should really look much better.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking forward to tomorrow's pics
Thanks,
John
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos! The black background is dynamite! Looking good, buddy!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking forward to see it in Decals Carlos - It's going to look superb!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, today’s decal work took far longer than estimated. Speed bumps were encountered.

First up, I added the basics: National insignia, stencils, etc. The stars and NAVY went on quick and easy enough. But then the stencils started to break apart. So I did a time out on application to give all stencils a quick coat of Micro Scale Liquid Decal film, then set them aside to dry. Then I went to check on the Fowler sheet. Those were a big unknown to me. So I cut out a small decal that I would not be using and gave it a test... it shattered. So all decals from that sheet that I would be using were coated with the Liquid Decal Film as well. Then it was time for lunch. After lunch I resumed adding the stencils, and this time all went well.

I gave them an hour or so to dry, then went back to add the squadron markings and modex. The Fowler decals must have been quite old as they took quite some time to come loose from the backing sheet and then when they did the glue had a yellow gray cloudy film... it took awhile to clear up all that mess. So later than estimated, l finished adding the squadron & modex decals.

One final detail to share here... I am modifying the aircraft’s Bureau Number from the sheet. The VA-93 markings are for an A-7A, that VA-93 flew after they completed their time on the line in Vietnam during the Linebacker campaigns. In 1973, VA-93 traded in their A-7Bs for A-7As. So I used one of the A-7B Bu. No’s from the Fowler sheet as a starting point for my aircraft’s Bu.No.. I’ll explain the rest later when this build is completed.

All I can say is that the shark mouth is gonna need lots of solvent to properly settle down and conform to the contours.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Oh my! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Outstanding work Carlos, despite the setbacks! :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys. I’m really liking how it looks now.

I did a couple applications of Micro Sol last nite after I took and posted these photos. The shark mouths are snuggling down nicely.

FLSM

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”