Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1943.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:Base coat

Sharp!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:I would suggest that you remove those bolt heads on the crankcase cover. If you look at the real deal in the photo, the crankcase cover is smooth.
Yes, good call. I was going to do it but as I was painting the cockpit I figured I would hit the engine as well. I will file those bolts off!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:Yes it is, when any glory ever comes by me anyway. Still, I savor what little I get when it does come. Most importantly though for me is what I did for God while I passed through this life. That is the most glorious. If I can make a few more models along the way then that is simply cream on the cake.
Great words, Duke. As a cancer survivor, I feel your emotion and energy. My buddy who writes comic books wants to explore the lives of the saints (Mary of Egypt, Anthony, Christopher) and I told him I would be extremely interested in drawing their stories. Perhaps we will find an audience.
Bruce, I would definitely buy that. I would even suggest to my church to purchase a number of them for their Sunday School, as well as their church bookstore. I also don not mind the painting; it is art and worthy of being shown.

Your paint work on the Corsair is exceptional. The engine looks magnificent too. Usually after basecoating my engines in a metallic paint like that, I'll give it a thick wash of Oily Black. I still have some from Polly S and Floquill.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Glad to see you working on this Bruce. After dirtying that engine up some the detail will really pop.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I would very, very much like to thank everyone individually first for comments and support: Carlos, Kari, Mark and Clint, Thank you so much. Duke I use graphite just like you use your wonderful wash - I love Polly S and Floquil brands. I removed the “extra” bolt heads as Carlos suggested. Good call, bud.

I have a whole slew of VSCO filters which I use sparingly because 1) this is supposed to reflect the work in progress warts n’ all and 2) it’s possible to get lost in using filters! However, this was too fun for me to just delete it:

My hands look really red but the engine looks good. Let’s try fixing that in Photoshop...

There’s a “Selective Filter” option that separates the image into foreground and background plates. I used that to color balance the styrene back to blue from green and to make my hands much less red.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Beautiful work Bruce!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The engine is looking good Bruce. I don’t think the folks here are too concerned about the flesh tones on your hand model. :tease:

WE WANT PLASTIC!!!! :ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I'll echo that sentiment! This looks amazing so far Bruce!! :shoutout:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much Brent, Carlos and Joe. Sincerely. Your comments and support are always, always appreciated. I am going to work on the cockpit next. For another WWII project (Airfix 1/72 Kingfisher) Carlos suggested buying Reheat’s cockpit detailing set for USN aircraft. I think there is an extra pair of seat belts that will work really well here for the Corsair. At least, that is my plan at the moment: see if I am able to use PE seatbelts from Reheat. I am totally open to any ideas for scratching seatbelts (tape, foil, etc) from everyone. I have been taking notes on such things since I joined here, actually.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Man that engine ROCKS! Have you fired it up for a test run yet? Looks like you could!

Keep it coming Bruce!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”