Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
lawman56
Advanced Member

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Post by lawman56 »

Thomas_M wrote:Joe, this is pure art! Looks easy to do but surely needs a lot of artistic talent to get such a fantastic example of a stone base! Image

Are you doing resin copies of this?
Thanks Thomas :grin: . I hadn't actually considered making copies, as I'm still learning how to cast without making a mess! I do plan to make a silicone mold of it before I get too crazy with the painting, just in case I do want to cast it later. If I can pull it off, the mold will allow me to make it out of plaster or resin.
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Here's the finished cobblestone. As per Thomas' suggestion, I've made another batch out of plaster. once I'm done carving the stone, I'll mold it in silicon so I can make resin or plaster casts as needed.

I try to view every element of a diorama as a separate model. The kit itself, figures and base. Makes it easier to visualize for me that way. Lots of pics online, lots of local observances and basic weathering were used to achieve this look.

And here's a few of the finished vehicle. I just need to make 3 more free-loaders.

More to come as I get closer to finishing. Then to finish my 250/1 in the background, and start my PBR. :grin:
Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Joe, that is simply amazing work. Both on the base the the model. That is a great way to look at these things, as seperate builds. You are a true master of this art.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Coming together very nicely! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

What a cool looking driver! :lashed:
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Thanks guys :blush: I'm glad I had this nice Tamiya kit to help ease the frustration of the Dragon half track. My buddy placing aftermarket limitations on me helped as well, otherwise I fear I would have covered the M21 in fancy doo-dads!

The driver is the only kit figure built stock. Only thing I added was the chin strap. The others will be slightly modified to depict being in a moving vehicle, which means I need to wake Igor and start digging into the Frankenstein box.
Joe

lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Here's the basic concept. I'll be adding rubble, dirt and other goodies as time allows between creating the rest of my crew and working on the Sd.Kfz. 250. That base will be a little easier, since that dio will take place in Russia during Operation Citadel, but the crew will be more difficult. Germans love lots of trinkets and baubles.

As usual, thanks for looking!
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It's nearing the finish line! Looking real good there. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

lawman56 wrote:...Germans love lots of trinkets and baubles.
Oh, really? :ballbat:

(Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/m4-sherman/3055-2726/images/)
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Lol....well Thomas, I guess I should have specified. The Germans loved to WEAR trinkets and baubles, we liked to collect slightly larger things, like tanks, aircraft, artillery, etc....

I've always gotten a laugh out of that picture. I think the fact that it's strapped to the rear like a fishing boat is what does it. :lol:
Joe

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”