AMT White Freightliner-Updates-04/30

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: AMT White Freightliner-Progress 4/22

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Bruce! Still up in the air about which way I'm going to go with this build as I've seen some really cool trucks like.............................this:

Minus that visor over the windshield though... :headslap. This one's called "Ol Powder"

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Beautiful! That would be amazing!!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mustang1989 wrote:Thanks Bruce! Still up in the air about which way I'm going to go with this build as I've seen some really cool trucks like.............................this:

Minus that visor over the windshield though... :headslap. This one's called "Ol Powder"

oh my... no, no and noooo! :bag: Actually the paint scheme and the chrome work is nice, but that visor and the massive chrome bumper to too much - that being said, if you decide to go that way I'm sure you'll do an awesome job of it - it'll also fit well with all of your custom cars.

Well Joe builds a truck - that is so awesome in many ways, and a great choice. Being from Europe, and from a family of truck drivers, I'm much more a fan of cab-overs and that one looks great. It's do nice to see one being built up as I don't think it's something I've seen before, I've certainly never build one...

..mmmmmm.... Birthday coming next month..... Mother in law wants to know what I want..... Lots of truck kits on ebay..... feel like building something different..... Really really love the Aerodynes.... Man you're giving me ideas!!!!!! :lashed:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man it's great to see back around these parts Stuart and thank you for your comments. That nasty visor would have to go alright.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

How about this Beast?

1985 Freightliner FLA Cabover belonging to Keith Nelson of Longview, WA on display at the 2017 Brooks 25th Annual Truck Show in August 2017
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

That's a good lookin' truck and I like the graphics scheme Bruce. Since I've started building this kit I've noticed that there are hardly any cab overs on the road these days. I saw a Kenworth yesterday and about lost it. Man that was a beautiful truck and I'm gonna have to take a couple of photos of it and share them here.

Thank you for the ideas Bruce. I'll be stealing a few from this photo.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Okeedokee everybody. It's time for the cab updates. This is probably the most dreaded part of this build if building a sleeper cab. The day cab is a breeze in comparison.
First off there is a nasty seam to fill between the passenger and sleeper half of it.

This is after assembly and I cleaned this up as best I could. Gonna be a lot of work right here.

Secondly, I've heard just as many horror stories in regards to interior fit into the cab. I shaded the areas in with a black sharpie that needed trimmed up for the interior to slide nicely inside:

The sides needed a lot of work

Then the rear of the interior and cab gave me some fit issues particularly in the area where both of the cab rest blocks are located. So a little sanding was done on the interior tub:

and some on the rest blocks:

Then the front of the cab had its issues with the interior tub and the front lower corners of the cab that had a little "slag" causing a fit problem. So I sanded a little off of the corners of the tub and the steering column since it protruded outside of the interior at the base of the column. (the black dot on the passengers floorboard is just an ejector pin mark that I'll have to take care of.)

Here's the area of the cab that needed shaved in the front lower corners:

So far so good with the overall fit. A little tweaking to do but it's no big deal:

mustang1989

Re: AMT White Freightliner-Cab & Interior-04/27

Post by mustang1989 »

Something else of notable mention. I was gonna ask what the deal was or if I was missing any parts but I had the other kit to refer to and my question was answered. The drivers side of the cab at the door area seemed to have a part missing at first but the more I looked at it, the more it didn't look right.

So I dug out the actual build kit and compared and whaddaya know................it was a blem cab. :ballbat:

No trouble with this one:

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, even before moving down and looking at the second picture, I could tell that was short-shot. Glad you caught that. This is looking incredible so far, keep it coming.

Stuart, go for it. You know you wanna.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Mark!
So far it's fairly smooth sailing. I did find that when I fitted the cab onto the chassis that the bottom of the interior tub was hitting the air intake for the engine at the top of the radiator. I had to sand a little from the bottom of the tub and at the air intake assembly but it all fits good now. Front tires are right where I wanted 'em so I glued those in place as well. The front bumper is low enough to allow the cab to tilt forward with no fit interference issues. So far, aside from ALOT of cleanup and the headlamps that are too high issue this kit is turning out to be a good one.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”