Tamiya Sdkfz.222

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Tamiya Sdkfz.222

Post by Stikpusher »

Tamiya’s most recent issue of this kit includes two figures for the turret. One seated in one of the gun mount seats, and the other perched on the turret rear... both in summer Africa uniforms... and also with a motorcycle and rider... if only that kit had been out when I bought this one... that would have saved me yesterday’s figure building and test fitting session and I could have been further along...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So during some image searches on this kit I found that the are on the top deck behind the turret is mesh on the real thing. Tamiya has it molded like it could be a texture plate non slip area....

So I gave in to the urge and broke out my Dremel and a grinding bit to thin it out and open up the mesh area, then I poked thru with some sharp tools

I overdid it a bit on one grid, but not too bad...

and then it was time for some primer

No bench time today due to a double shift at work, so I’ll start painting tomorrow...

oh yes, I primed up the crew figures too. Here is a direct overhead shot of the legless guy in the turret... his lack of lower legs is mostly concealed by the gun mount and only shows up under such illumination as a penlight shined in there....

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

That was a cool thing to do, using the Dremel !
I guess you used very low RPM:s to avoid melting ?

Coming along nicely!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Kari. Yes, the lowest RPM setting that I could use, and a very light touch.... make a few runs, then hold it up to a window to check for translucence.... repeat at needed.

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks great Stick! Looking at the figure I would also leave it as is too to beat the deadline. Great work on the screen on the top deck.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Clint. Time is my main limiting factor here. I could potentially do a lot more with the base kit of this... I’m coming up with ideas on this that I could use on the 223 in my stash.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos! Lookin’ so good, my friend! Creating an open grill the way you did was really sharply done—literally sharp when you poked through to create openings. This is the kind of enhancement which builds realism so well!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Bruce. I’ll try to get some of the remaining openings taken care of with my pin vise and some micro drill bits...

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Also: what amazing facial expressions on those figures!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Indeed the area... Tristar had some of the best figure sculptors in 1/35 injection plastic. Especially the faces.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”