Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
speedgraflex

Re: Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks for these, Bruce! I’m guessing this was before the collision...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

LOL, probably.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

If the movie was correct and if the 109 was a dock darling...was this as a new boat?

Is the deck grey? I was going to get wood grain paint...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Ol Steve sounds like the route through that question Lyle. Looking forward to progress.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Lyle,
The PT-109 was transported aboard the liberty ship SS Joseph Stanton, which Bruce graciously provided, in Aug 42 and was docked later that year at Tulagi near Guadalcanal after being painted a flat dark green at Nouméa, New Caledonia. She was active around Guadalcanal from Dec 42 to Feb 43. Kennedy took command in Apr 43 where in May 43 they were relocated to the Russel Islands to prepare for the invasion of New Georgia. the 109 was struck by the DD Amagiri on 2 Aug 43.
When Kennedy took command he and his crew had to do extensive repairs to her which leaves me to believe that between Feb 43 and Apr 43 she was a dock queen. I believe she maintained the flat dark green which would have been painted on her deck as well.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you so much! Love the images that Bruce finds and also your insight. Whilst waiting for some parts to dry on the Victor, been looking at PT boat pics and looking for some sheets of number decals. I like the flat dark-green much better than the 167 splinter camo...based upon the Revell boxing.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Sweet! I have this same kit. I'm gonna enjoy watching this come together.

Oh, and at last count, I have 19 all under construction at the same time. It's kind why I finish four to seven at one time.... :whistle:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you, sir. I may go back to a sequential operation here. Need something to get finished.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, guess I'll try again. Had something ready to go and the server/internet (or something) dumped me and I lost the post.

Not much going on, really. I've hit a point where I do not want to glue anything for fear of messing it up, but, one must press on, I guess. I started putzing around on this one a week or two ago, reading the destructions and fitting things. The first thing I noticed is they want you to install the props and rudder assemblies and then handle the boat to build the rest of it....ain't happening.

Started on the deck house, etc. Not sure of the flat black call outs for paint. My guess is it is all one color. But here is what is done so far.

She is about 13" long and around 3 1/2 - 4" wide. The forward wall of the cockpit is going to be a challenge for my fat little fingers. It really should go in before the port sidewall. Pretty cheesy detail, too. I don't have a lot of AMS in me but I haven't seen any pictures that show what they have molded into this piece. Certainly not a door with a window or two instrument clusters. I've found a suitable picture of an instrument panel that I may reduce and use....I don't know.

As for paint and painting. There will be both brush and airbrush applications and a lot of OD paint. What I've read waffles on whether or not there was an application of the red anti-fouling paint. Prerry good discussions from 10-15 years ago on FSM regarding the PT109. I'll probably paint the bottom just to give it some interest.

This picture (I got from somewhere of a build) has a number of things wrong...Most everyone agrees there was no mast, no hull numbers on the bow, the gray lower hull is questionable and a few other things.

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”