1/350 Dragon USS Spruance

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: 1/350 Dragon USS Spruance

Post by Modelcrazy »

I was in the back with the regular Styrofoam but I haven't seen it lately. I was going to try Michael's but decided on the blue stuff instead.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks. I’ll have to look for it on my next visit to HL.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! I better get to finishing these jets so I can get the ship out.

Nice work!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Mike,
This weekend didn't go anywhere near like I envisioned. Friday my new dog had some problems with his surgery area from being neutered and I had to take him into the Vet, $170 out there, then the "new" truck I bought, a 1984 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton in great condition for $900 (a steal BTW), died on me after filling it up. The Battery turned turtle and completely died so I replaced it, another $130. I'm thinking the alternator is the problem and need to put a meter on it, maybe another what $40? then my granddaughter called me all distraught because the police pulled her over due to a suspended license she wasn't aware of. Of course I had to go get her and come back for her car. She said she paid a citation, but now there is some confusion about that [*-)]. Oh, the young. :headslap:
By some miracle I was able to get some time on the Spruance. I usually complete the superstructure on ships before attaching them to the hull but in this case, it seemed wiser to complete the whole thing, or at least most of it minus the masts.
I started the base with the blue Styrofoam. So far not supper pleased with it but like any material it'll require its own technique. It is more difficult to cut than the hard Styrofoam I usually use and the grill lighter method of making swells didn't work as well as it does on my favorite material. That just means I'll have to come up with a different way of doing things for it.
After assembling the hull, I removed the sonar bulge. I don't think she'll be searching for subs on my shelf so no loss there. Besides, I can use it on some kitbash project in the future.

Next, I cut out the material I needed then drew out the hull form. I then cut out the form (very difficult, or should I say not as easy as the hard but about the same as the standard Styrofoam). I then drew out the wake I wanted and used a combination of a grill lighter and sand paper to get the initial wake and swells I wanted, again not as pleased as with the hard stuff, but it worked. The later addition of additional Styrofoam, paper and acrylic gel will smooth things out and allow me to add where I want, which I'll do after I complete most of the kit.

You really have to be brave to do a water dio and just realize you might just mess the whole thing up.
That's all for now.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I absolutely love your water dioramas! I've been waiting patiently for you to get to this point. At the shows around here there is so many ship entries they brake them down into three categories 1/700 and smaller, 1/350, anything larger than 1/350.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very impressive! I know I'd screw it up.
Mike

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Floki, most shows do here too but EgalQuest put them all into one category, including subs. :roll: Most shows have at least 1/700, 1/350 and larger and subs.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Mike, the sea is a little rougher than I intended but I can work with it

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I finished filling and sanding the join of the deck and hull and ready to start attaching the small bits and PE.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice! Taking lots of notes. :writing:
Mike

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”