LyleW's C-54

Primarily the Revell of Germany C-54 Skymaster in 1/72 scale. But, any c-54 is welcome. Come one, come all.

Date: February 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. But, let's just have some fun and build this classic.
LyleW
Admin

Re: LyleW's C-54

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:Ever wonder why jewelers use trays? It’s sort of the same effect with a t-shirt for me. It has to be big enough to create a landing pad. I’m mixing metaphors aren’t I? And hey my advice continues to be to sub assemble the major cockpit sections then primer gray or whatever base color is close to prototype then detail paint the sub assemblies. It was either Thomas or Torben who taught me the value of a good stick for support. I always white glue seats to toothpicks, to create handles for um handling, yes.
And the jeweler's have special desks as well. I am doing the sub-assembly shtick on this one, but trying to get some paint on them as I go. I've tried the assemble/prime/paint method before and had worse results than this way. There are too many pieces/parts in some of them. For example, this little decal:

was to go on the "brow" of the IP. I assume it is the engine fire buttons and such. Then you put the hood over the IP. Why bother. The radio compartment is the same way.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree. Nobody is gonna see it once the cockpit is closed up in the fuselage. Never understood why manufacturers go through the trouble of creating IP decals for a 1/72 C-54 when you’re never going to see it.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

How I Spent My Morning, by LyleW….

Crappy pictures, I know. But...29 or 30 (I forget) parts to this point.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good, Lyle.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looking good, Lyle.
Thank you.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That is quite a lot of details in the cockpit. Nice! :shoutout:
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you Remco. And, oh there are more!

Surprisingly the fit and assembly are pretty straightforward.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man that is a lot of little pieces that make up that interior Lyle. Lookin' good so far! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Many thanks, Joe. The next two steps add about 10 more parts. Pretty sure that none of them are visible. Oh well, at least there is no pressure. Now, I have to figure out what I want to do about painting all this.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Paint the inside any color that you like. As long as it is Interior Green.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “C-54 Skymaster”