30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Finished/"Under Glass" 08/16

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Headlamps&Hood 08/15

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Kari! When I post the glamor shots I'll post a before and after pic for a direct comparison. I can't believe the difference either to tell you the truth!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's looking brilliant - nice work on the lights and the hood!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks fellas!!! I certainly appreciate all the kind folks who dropped in to look as well as those who took the time to encourage and give me ideas on this ol' girl. I'll be coming to the main stream with the Mistel Jimmy!! LOL. Say what you will but there's talent out there that I feel like I'd have a hard time keeping up with. I'll give it my best shot and see what happens.

Well I took the glamour shots this morning and am content with how this all turned out. Lot's of touch up and some parts replacements along the way helped out some. The paint is all original with only clean up and a polishing with Novus to bring out the shine. On the original build I never installed any glass or headlamps so right off the bat there was an improvement there. Wheels and tires are all replacements with some tricks that I've learned here and there to enhance those items. All exterior chrome was replaced and the hood was added as well. I'm not just real happy with the hood but I'll work around that for now. Interior is all original with no upgrades other than cleaning up. The engine is terrible and if it weren't for the fact that the headers were visible all the way up to it I would have left it out.
All in all this has been some good fun with little frustration and I've even got to try out a few tricks and ideas in what was unchartered waters before this build. As stated earlier: Is this my best model or will this win in any shows?? No. It does, however, have it's place inside a good display case to pay tribute to some of my earlier days 30+ years ago. With any luck it will last another 30+ years............

Now.....I focus all my efforts on the F-100.

To recap. Beginning shots:(Take note: The front tires have melted away from the wheels....the heat was terrible in that back room!)

Finishing shots:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Finished/"Under Glass" 08

Post by KSaarni »

Fantastic!

The finish is very good, brillant is the right word, literally!

Hope no dust anymore on this Chevy! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Brilliant indeed! That as an amazing transformation!

Congrats on an outstanding restoration.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

What a difference a few weeks of work makes - great work on that restoration - it looks teriffic!

It must be a nice feeling to have reclaimed part of your modelling past, I wish I still had the kits I built when I was younger!

Great Stuff!

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Kari and Mark: Thank you both!

Stuart: Thank you sir and yes it's great to have a few of my old time builds. I tried not to over do it on this one. lol
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hey Joe,

Sorry for dragging this one up again (although why not - It's a great build), but I have a question for you.

I know you kept the original paintwork and just polished it, but how did you apply that paint when it was first built, was it airbrush, rattle can or just a hairy stick?

Cheers

Stuart

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

portman wrote:Hey Joe,

Sorry for dragging this one up again (although why not - It's a great build), but I have a question for you.

I know you kept the original paintwork and just polished it, but how did you apply that paint when it was first built, was it airbrush, rattle can or just a hairy stick?

Cheers

Stuart

I’m curious, too! My guess would be Joe sprayed the blue... and he kept the color in its original condition as a “mile marker” in his modeling career! Let us know, Joe!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”