AMT Kit S921-200 built by speedgraflex

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Re: AMT Kit S921-200

Post by speedgraflex »

My work continues on the seams. I will have photos tonight. I am using a combination of CA and Milliput. The Milliput was difficult and messy to use so I am limiting the usage to just filler or backing for the CA. The last time I did this I jumped too soon to primer which resulted in a back-forth with sanding and removal of primer as well as redoing the filler. Hopefully I learned enough since to achieve 90% of the final filled seams before moving on. Patience. Photos later.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Mr Surfacer 500 applied with a pipe cleaner:
Blue highlighter - CA fill / Light blue highlighter - Milliput fill:
Four “locator openings” - CA fill:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Lots of grunt work that will pay off! I still can’t make Milliput work fo me. Not sure why.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice attention to detail fixing up all those surface flaws Bruce.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lyle, One of the two compounds used to make Milliput work is definitely stickier than I would like and over time gets more so. What happened to me was the light rinsing I gave my hands did not wash away the sticky film well enough: small clumps of Milliput gathered to my fingers, gathered to areas of the model I was holding where I did not want Milliput. I am still cleaning up these mistakes. Thanks for writing and your support.

Carlos, I hope to make more progress than this but the seams are simply going to take time. Thanks for your support as always.

There is a small dimple where the arrow is pointing which is common to all the AMT 18-in E models. I am considering drilling a hole smaller then the dimple in order to get the putty to stick.

A bit like lancing a boil.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful work Bruce; your persistence with the seam filling is gonna pay off in spades. As for the dimple; try the Mr. Surfacer 500 on it; I use it for that kind of thing all the time. Beats having to drill it out some more.

I love what I see here. This is rocking along well Bruce!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you so much for your advice, Mark. I sincerely appreciate your idea and will do it. I apologize to you and anyone following for the glacial pace of this project, but I learned the hard way that the seams need to be solidly glued and filled before painting begins. What a great tip, Mark. Sincerely.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

You're welcome Bruce. I'm glad I could help. Don't worry about the slow pace. Life tends to get in the way sometimes and then there is our own persistence in trying to make it look right. I have taken long times to do a number of my projects; the Dora railgun, the Panzerzug BP-44 armored train, the C-118; the Space Shuttle with boosters all have taken a year or more of time given my drive to somehow make them look good. Believe me, based on the amount of work and attention you are doing here; this is going to be one smashingly great model!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am really relieved to be able to use Mr Surfacer to fill the dimple. These are a plague on both... nacelles! Thanks again, Mark!!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

You're most welcome Bruce!

Glad I could help.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”