SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
Stikpusher

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft update 8/10

Post by Stikpusher »

Todays update... it does not look like much, due mostly to it being lots of little detail painting work... interrupted by a few long errands and outings...

The retro and after maneuvering rockets... I still need to paint the ablative coating color inside the nozzles

Cooling unit, Communications equipment, Radar Rendevous Target Device, Power Cells, and Fuel/Oxydizer/Water Tanks on mount. I still need to finish painting the wiring

Interior of the Equipment Section, I still need to paint the framwork brackets and wiring/plumbing

Crew section with a coat of Gloss Black and starting to do Red detail work painting

More to come in the next few days...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft update 8/12

Post by LyleW »

she be coming along!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes indeed.... and I am really fighting the urge to go to town replacing the molded on wiring and plumbing detail in there. Then this would not be a proper review and turn in to another long term project as well.... :o
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Adam
Advanced Member

Post by Adam »

Oh cool! Don't know how I missed this. Been really thinking of getting some spacecraft.

Stikpusher wrote:Yes indeed.... and I am really fighting the urge to go to town replacing the molded on wiring and plumbing detail in there. Then this would not be a proper review and turn in to another long term project as well.... :o

Same here!
It's up to you how much money you want to spend and how many new words you want to create "correcting" something.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Adam wrote:Oh cool! Don't know how I missed this. Been really thinking of getting some spacecraft.
Same here! :)
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, you could not go wrong buying this classic kit. She is a beauty as is. With a little creativity she can be a show stealer! :twisted:

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well where was I? I hit a speed bump due to trying some new weathering techniques and had to go back and fix those up. And I have been doing bits and pieces of detail painting over the past week. Today it was time to get it all assembled.

I used oil paints to apply a pin wash on the Equipment and Retrograde Sections. . It worked good enough on the Retrograde section, but did not react well with the Floquil paint on the sidewalls of the Equipment section, my first time using that medium. Next time I know to use a dissimilar layer in between. So I touched up the paint there and then used Promodeler Wash to take care of that section.

Equipment Section

Retrograde Section

After getting that work fine tuned I added the equipment that goes in those sections

Equipment Section

Retrograde Section

I also applied the Promodeler Wash to the Astronaut figures

Then I applied their uniform decals- I still need to do a little more work on their faces and then add their helmet faceshields

And I have been working on the red edging and mettalic red detail work for the capsule itself, all based off of photos of Gemini 3. Today I finally glued the capsule exterior to the heat shield so now all that needs to be added are the hatch windows. Which I will do after the decals are on and the final Flat coat on the exterior.

then a test fit of the Adapter Section to the Crew Section

and a test fitting of the Astronauts

Keep looking, more to come soon...

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft update 8/22

Post by Thomas_M »

:bow:

Now this one really comes to live! What a progress!
All the detail painting took its time but it really adds to the overall appearance. Have there been decals for the fine red lines on the black capsule?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Thomas. Yes the kit decals come with the little red hash marks. I started applying them last night. And yes, all those little detail painting items really help bring the kit to life. It's too bad that Revell chose not to include much of that in the instruction sheet. In 1/24 scale those things really stand out and are noticable. I will have some commentary on both in my next review update.

BTW, I really love all the new emoticon choices that we now have.

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Stikpusher wrote:...BTW, I really love all the new emoticon choices that we now have.
We have to thank our mate Adam for those! A great addition to our place!

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”