30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Finished/"Under Glass" 08/16

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Finished/"Under Glass" 08

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks fellas. She's actually pretty rough around the edges but I left that part alone for the most part on purpose. I did bring out the shine but left a lot of the fit concerns that I had so I would have something to reference back to some 30 some odd years ago. I got the chance to use that with my son Joseph when he asked me if I'd always been decent at model building. I brought this one out as well as the Camaro that I built back when it was still unrestored and showed him where I started and that no one starts off being a genius at model building.

To answer both of your questions , this was a rattle can paint job that cooperated with a young teenager pretty well. All I had to do was wet sand it a little and polish 'er up with a little Novus.

Don't take anything away from a rattle can though. This one was rattle canned too you know:

Everything lined up right on this gloss coat. I didn't even have to polish it.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Holy wow! That is gorgeous, Joe! “Flawless” is a word that comes to mind with your work, and I study your techniques pretty carefully! I personally find rattlers to be pretty incredible. I keep an image on my hard drive of an award winning Wingnut Wings aircraft which was entirely painted by brush and rattle cans, as a reminder that it is not the tools so much as it is the technique and the tools that count. Note — the wing camo job is from the kit decals, but the fuselage is Tamiya Navy Blue straight up no chaser.

I was planning to rattle can the Porsche until the air brush appeared. I really appreciate all of your advice, Joe.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The riddle of plastic...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:The riddle of plastic.
:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

So it is a rattle can job - Thanks Joe! (Two very cool builds btw).
speedgraflex wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:The riddle of plastic.
:shoutout:
:P1:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I lift my hat to "Rattle canners", that requires skills!

I have only once tried using a rattle can... and did not succeed at all.
I find it, to be honest, very difficult compared to an airbrush.You cannot really control anything...

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I appreciate the kind words fellas. You actually do have a little control with a rattle can. The speed at which the passes are made and the distance away from the "target". Temperature and environment play a part in it as well just as with any paint.
You gotta watch a lot of the glosses though. I'm finding that most these days (at least in modeling paints) are lacquer based clears. If an enamel based color is applied you'll have to use a sealer before applying the lacquer based gloss coat or go with a lacquer based color before the clear. You'll end up with a mess you don't want due to paint incompatibility issues. I first ran into this with my 56 F-100 when applying the clear coat over the paint job and the flames that I applied. The base color survived because it was a Tamiya acrylic but the enamel based flames went south quick ! Remember.....enamel over lacquer is fine but lacquer over enamel with no sealer is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just so you guys know....the Challenger is a clear coat only. No paint. That's the molded in red body color. LOTS of body prep on that one!!! lol
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

mustang1989 wrote:You actually do have a little control with a rattle can. The speed at which the passes are made and the distance away from the "target". Temperature and environment play a part in it as well just as with any paint.
Thanks Joe, absolutely, that is true of course! Perhaps I need to give another go and try to do some rattle-can blue ! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

KSaarni wrote:
mustang1989 wrote:You actually do have a little control with a rattle can. The speed at which the passes are made and the distance away from the "target". Temperature and environment play a part in it as well just as with any paint.
Thanks Joe, absolutely, that is true of course! Perhaps I need to give another go and try to do some rattle-can blue ! :-)

- Kari
Kari: I've got a neat little article somewhere on rattle can painting tips. I'll send it to you later on this evening or tomorrow morning.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

mustang1989 wrote: - Kari
Kari: I've got a neat little article somewhere on rattle can painting tips. I'll send it to you later on this evening or tomorrow morning.[/quote]

Thank you Joe, that would be great!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”