SPAM Military Vehicle Group Build

Member created Group Builds
Stikpusher

Re: SPAM Military Vehicle Group Build

Post by Stikpusher »

The wheels look to have the vinyl retainer rings, a la many other armor kits. Instead of flying them in place, the vinyl ring bushing holds the wheel in place. You can paint with the wheels attached, but you will have to manipulate the hull and wheels in order to avoid “shadows” of bare plastic where the paint was blocked.

As far as red road wheels, how that would come to be is beyond me. I have seen a few red centers of hubs on some European AFVs, but not a whole hub, let alone a road wheel. I never saw red primer on US vehicles. The ARVN uses a very dark olive drab. You could start with Tamiya OD, and add black.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, looking good. Everyone else has more properly answered your questions about roadwheels and painting so I'll just compliment you on your persistence and attention to detail.

Stuart, thanks! I hope to get started on it soon.

Keep plugging along guys!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Since PB appears to have temporarily given up on their extortion scheme, you can look at this old build of mine to see one of my methods for assembly and painting...

http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=20
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, sir! I am only on page three of that project but there is so much there—including an interior! I have been thinking about the hard to find (at least for me) Hobby Fan resin engine since the engine compartment here is easy to access—as though the designers already had a separate engine in mind as a possible enhancement.

The kit choice for a U.S. version tank is:

Last edited by speedgraflex on Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Kit choice—U.S. Army 1st Armored Regiment, 1965:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Hobby Fan and AFV Club seem to work hand in hand on things like that engine. If you go with the US markings, I would recommend the Gunze OD, over anybody else’s, for that timeframe of those markings. All Olive Drabs are not equal or alike. Gunze makes 3 three shades of US Olive Drab: one for WWII aircraft, one for modern equipment such as bombs, and one for US armor. The Armor shade is excellent for late WWII, post WWII before the Dark OD was introduced during Vietnam.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Carlos... I have Gunze Creos Sangyo C-38 stocked up for this kit and I feel the U.S. subjects a bit more... although there are three R.O.C. Marine versions of tanks offered in the decal set. I really picked this one based on looks... maybe that’s always how I pick ‘em... but when you gave me the information about the U.S. never using this model in conflict per se... it was even farmed out for the Bay of Pigs... that took some adjustments for me.

HOBBY FAN 1/35 M41 ENGINE [Resin/Metal]

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Just like the M41’s stablemate, the M47, it just was destined never to see combat in US ownership. Too late for Korea, and already replaced by the time of Vietnam. If Desert Storm had not occurred, the M60 would have missed combat in US colors as well. And that was just barely. Those were in the process of being phased out of active service when that action occurred.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for your insights and establishing a framework for this piece of U.S. Army equipment, Carlos. I finished reading your build thread! That already was my favorite models of yours! That’s definitely one to grab if there was a fire before heading out (may that never happen). Sometimes well often when I review old threads I feel that there was a population here on SPAM who was really involved at one point then just disappeared... like they were sucked into a black hole.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke Maddog wrote:Bruce, looking good. Everyone else has more properly answered your questions about roadwheels and painting so I'll just compliment you on your persistence and attention to detail.

Stuart, thanks! I hope to get started on it soon.

Keep plugging along guys!
Lol, Duke... I am the definition of the tortoise in the “Tortoise and the Hare” when it comes to carving out actual build time. I was reading through your Warthog build for the fourth time just kind of marveling at how you build, especially in 1/72. There was this “dude online from overseas” who was building beautiful dioramas in 1/144, and I went online to look at what constitutes a 1/144 kit...
:whiteflag:
Haha, wow. I wish there was a 1/72 M4 and a 1/72 Duster just so I can watch you build them!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Member Group Builds”