Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote:And maybe a dark wash on the rope too to highlight the braid?
I went the opposite way and did some dry brushing on the ropes. But I still may add a wash on them... just to finish them off.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I just caught up on Wednesday’s progress, Carlos. Super job with all of the surfaces!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

he is a wizard....but, then all of you are!

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stikpusher wrote:
I went the opposite way and did some dry brushing on the ropes. But I still may add a wash on them... just to finish them off.
It depends on the approach. There is an element of "stage makeup" that modelers often employ to emphasize and highlight detail to a level that is probably not technically accurate but helps to convey an impression. Figure painting uses that approach in a much more obvious way. Exaggeration to help you see details that would be invisible otherwise.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Exactly. Stage make up,is a good analogy. Pin washes exaggerate shadow, while dry brushing accentuates the highlights. Using the black basing method reduces, if not eliminates one aspect of the need for pin washes.

Anyways here are the tow ropes yesterday after my dry brushing. The colors and subtlety are more distinct in person.

And the shovel on the trail now painted up (of course the camera focused on the wheel...)

And basic work on the crew figures....

More to come in a day or two... lots of work ahead...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:he is a wizard....but, then all of you are!
Thank you Lyle. I am most flattered by these words... but you have a lot of far better wizards than I Here...

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark, was that Leigh that you’re talking about?
Yes it is. I remember one "meeting after the meeting: at Denny;s one night where he went into great detail as to why Montgomery was such a poor leader. I just wish I could remember it.

I was thinking the same thing. Another potential benefit to a dark wash is that it'll make the rope look more dirty and/or used.

I do love the extra work you've done so far. This is really moving along well.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mark. You should be able to see this at IPMS tonite. I may fine tune the ropes with the wash, but no decisions yet.

I’m calling the gun finished. I dry brushed some highlights here and there, added some tie down straps to the tow ropes and shovel, and added a bit of weathering around the wheels and trail spades.

I also finished up the Airfix figure to display it at IPMS for the Airfix theme. He was good practice. I still plan on doing a vignette/diorama base with the Bronco figures, but no rush there.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Wow, Carlos! You brought everything to life. The added details, along with your weathering, are the real deal. So well judged. So well executed. I am thinking of superlatives here because mainly you made me think about another aspect of model making and of history—artillery pieces. This is truly a special project and good luck at the Airfix night unveiling. My only note concerns the uh lower half of the Airfix designed figure; the upper half and face are grand. He looks a bit like Collin Farrell would if he was in a WWII movie. However, maybe it is the angle but what is he doing with his left hand... my first thought was, “What is he doing, grabbing his crotch?” So I gotta ask. As carefully as possible ask. I hope that is alright. Maybe he’s holding his.. gun? Okay, I’ll go away now before fruits and veggies start flying towards me!!

:bye:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:giggles:

Thank you for your kind words Bruce, I was thinking the same thing about his lower hand. Sort of reminds me of a platoon sergeant I once had... we called him “Squeeze P”... he didn’t like that... :whistle: But the root of the figure situation lies in these being generic multi pose infrantry figures, and trying to adapt them to gun crew. It does not quite work. In the original kit, that arm is extended forward gripping the magazine for a Sten gun. It’s just kind of there on this guy. I could chop, cut, reposition and glue into a better pose. But I just wanted one guy fast for the gun last night to pose on my generic base for IPMS....

And it did work. It took 2nd Place in Master last nite. But was not the winner for the Airfix theme. That was a 1/72 Kingfisher that had been really upgraded and placed on a ship catapult for display. It was beautiful! And shows that presentation is a key factor.

Once I get my Bronco figures all painted up, I’ll work on a proper display for my 17 Pounder as I have envisioned....

More photos of this to come. Perhaps this evening.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”