Zvezda 1/48 Bf109F-4 - DONE! (again) New Pics

Any aircraft, or missile manufactured by Messerschmitt under said name. Bölkow-Blohm and subsequent merger and takeover aircraft are excluded.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Zvezda 1/48 Bf109F-4

Post by Thomas_M »

Wingnut, glad Jim got you over to this place!
Have fun and enjoy your time here! :)
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Hey wing nut. Nice to see you over here too. Great start on that kit. The F-2 was on my doorstep today and intend to jump in soon. So it seems I need AM exhausts and perhaps a spinner. I'll be following your progress.

I'm gonna recommend yellow 6.......Killer scheme...

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

Joe the Quickboost pipes are s good as these. I found a set when I was cleaning out the where all the stuff gets thrown in.

Since I am getting closer to primer and no new votes being cast, although I don't think it would make a difference at this point. The half votes are for the guys that just couldn't make up their minds. I know I couldn't LOL. If those 2 had tied for 1st I would have made the final call which would have been Black 8.

Black 1 - 0

Brown 13 - 2

Black 8 - 4 1/2

V-03 (Hungarian) - 6 1/2

Drum roll...

With 13 votes (46%) the winner is Yellow 6
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

wing_nut wrote: With 13 votes (46%) the winner is Yellow 6
:yahoo:

Great democratic decision Wingnut !
Looking really forward to that build !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

wing_nut wrote:Joe the Quickboost pipes are s good as these. I found a set when I was cleaning out the where all the stuff gets thrown in.
Cool...Thanks, I'll check em out. Good choice on ole'yeller...

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

The "Work smarter nor harder' principle is not be applied here in any way , shape or form. Bad choices, bad mistakes, bad technique... see a theme developing here? I'll put up pics of all the "bad" soon. I am still trying to unbad stuff.

As I looked at the decal sheet last night I noticed the the yellow is not that at all. It's orange. While I never get into the "what's the correct shade of the color" argument, even the wrong color should be the same throughout. Yellow cowl, wing tips and fuselage ban was going to be painted RLM 04, as it should, But the marking will then stand out with a way different color. The plan in my head (a dark and scary place) is to paint as planned and then carefully go over the marking with thin Vallejo and build up like the figure guys do and fade the color.
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

Finally done getting caught up on myself, fix the stuff I crapped up.

Someone asked if the engine fit with the cowls down. Yes and no. Yes it should, no I was unable to succeed in that endeavor. One of the mistakes I made was not reading the sheet thoroughly. If you are going with closed cowls, you can use the engine mounts on the sides. These are left off and the engine is help in place by the crank shaft in front and 20 MM cannon in the rear where it connects to the fire wall. Of course I had the side must on and a no go. Then I ripped off the mounts and cut the banks of cylinders off to just glue to the inside of the fuselage so the exhausts stuck out. That was the result of not looking at the sheet. The MG barrels were cut off and glued to the underside of the cowl.

For the next time I think he easiest thing to do is simply glue the exhaust to a strip of plates that just covers the space to blank it off and forget everything else.

Then the cylinders had to be carved and carved and carved some more to get the front Part of the cowl on. And the Tenax ran WAY down to where I was holding it and left the kind of finger print that would make a detective breathe heavy.

That got sanded and the ridges that were left filed with some Mr. Surfacer that I use for surface scratched. After the jar settled for awhile I poured of most of the solvent and use the now thick pigment as a filler.

I got the bottom cowl on but there was a lot of trimming and fitting. So much... I just don't think I can talk about it right now.

But here's where it is now. The pit is done ( freakin' amazing with all of the I didn't break of the gun sight reflectors :o ) and the resin upgrades are all in place. the spinner is just tacked din place for the pic and to see the profile. Right choice for the spinner I think.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Marc, about all that can be said is, "..other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

been there and have a t-shirt on the Tenax finger print. I would have used my enforcer (hammer) to make things fit, though. Amazing skill, ingenuity and patiente. I applaud you.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler Official Messerschmitt Group Build 2015”