enamel or acrylic

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Skil Phil

enamel or acrylic

Post by Skil Phil »

Which is prefered when using an airbrush?
Need to get some paint to test so wondered what should I try first.
Also need to get an airbrush compressor as I will be working inside and nopt close to my big shop compressor.
Is a single cylinder diaphragm/oilless type OK?
Thanks
Phil
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: enamel or acrylic

Post by Thomas_M »

Some good questions, but hard to answer in general. Some like to work with enamels, others prefer acrylics. Added to this is that in each range you have many more options on the brand, for example.
I for myself mostly use Gunze or Tamiya acrylics because they don´t have this awful smell when airbrushing indoor. Others, well, it depends...

I would propose you could use the "Search" tool on the upper right corner and try "Compressor", "Acrylic", and the likes. There never will be a definite answer, but you hopefully get the picture to find a solution for yourself.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

For years, growing up, all I had was the little Testor's square bottles of enamel. Limited range of colors. Now I've started using both acrylics and enamels. I guess it depends on what I have at hand. I am leaning more tothe acrylic side for lack of odor and somewhat easier cleaning. Fermis uses Model Master enamels, I believe, with stunning results. Sometimes it will depend on what colors you are looking for - they may be available lin only one or the other. Of course then you have lacquer paints sneaking in.

I'd get a couple of bottles of enamel and acrylic and see what you prefer. When airbrushing, most will need to be thinned out by 30-50 percent.

I have a oiless compressor that works fine. Be surel to get one with a regulator and a moisture trap. .

Cheers,

Lyle
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I like acrylics, easy to clean up, little smell and chamicals. You live in South Africa so I can imagine that the climate is hot and dry (if I am wrong, please correct me, it is a big country) I think both enamels and acrylics would work in such an enviroment. But you might want to use an acrylics thinner with retarder like Tamiya's.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Skil Phil

Post by Skil Phil »

Thanks all for your comments
Should have mentioned that can only get Tamiya and Humbrol over here.
Next time in town will get a sample of each type and test them.
Borg: Where I live it can get hot but normally mild to extremely cold (-15 C avg in winter).
Have had a look at compressors and find that a small hobby type (spray - air gun) is a lot more reasonably
priced than a dedicated airbrush compessor.
Would also be usefull and small enough to take on site for those nuisance jobs.
In our money
R 895 for a basic diaphragm air brush compessor - pick up and put in pocket size
vs
R 1095 for compressor with tank/cutoff switch/ regulator. (oilless so noisy)
Think that the latter would be a better alternative.
Phil
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Phil,
Just curious.....how far away is your shop compressor? Could you get a long hose and use that?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Skil Phil

Post by Skil Phil »

LyleW wrote:Phil,
Just curious.....how far away is your shop compressor? Could you get a long hose and use that?
100m - 300 yards - 900 ft. Bit to far.

Sorry I got the conversion wrong
100m - 100 yards - 300 ft
Still too far

Phil
Last edited by Skil Phil on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yep....Oh well! I was sure that you had thought of that, but was curious.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I use both types of paints, enamels and acrylics. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. But the two brands of paints that you have access to, Humbrol and Tamiya, both airbrush beautifully in my experience. Humbrol has a better color range for more "accurate" colors. While Tamiya has a very nice wide assortment of more "generic" colors. Between the two paint lines, you will find almost any color that you need for most modeling requirements. One thing though, hand brushing Tamiya paints well is really an arcane art. It can be done, but really takes practice. Humbrols on the other hand, those are my go to paints for handbrushing whenever possible.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”