enamel or acrylic

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Cherrylock
Addicted Member

Re: enamel or acrylic

Post by Cherrylock »

best results I have with enamels, but I started with enamels and learnd to work with, acrylic is differed to handle, I have some problems to have the same small lines , so why should I chance? Yes the smell, not a problem in my hobby room.

Try to airbrush arcrylic and enamels, than use what you prefare.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

I have the most access to Testors anf Model master paintes. for hand painting I use the little testors enamels. But I prefer acrylics when airbrushing. They are much easier to clean out of the airbrush. Windex does the trick.
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Skil Phil

Post by Skil Phil »

Well going into town tomorrow and will get a small compressor and paints (enamel & acrylic) thinning and cleaning stuff as
well as some glue and a few other necessities.
Then I can do some testing.
Looks like a good weekend ahead :D
Phil
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

As Lyle mentioned, I use Model Master enamels (and the little square Testors bottles) exclusively.
I can't speak for or against anything else really....that's what was available to me, I learned it and stuck with it.
I have tried several clear glosses...at $4-5 for 1-2oz...ended up getting a quart of MINWAX clear gloss lacquer for about $7...had it about 3 years now and haven't even gotten 1/2 way through it yet!!! I thin it (roughly 50/50) w/ generic lacquer thinner from the local hardware store...same stuff I run through the airbrush when cleaning up. I do spend the $$$ on Testors enamel thinner though, but only use it to thin paint.

One word of warning, if ya go with enamels and end up using the MINWAX gloss....the stuff is "hot"....spray a couple light coats, before getting heavy with it. If ya get too heavy, too quick...it'll wrinkle up the paint.
Skil Phil

Post by Skil Phil »

Thanks for the answers.
In the kit I am starting with they suggest for some parts Flat Gunmetal Grey. (FS 37200)
There is nothing in the Humbrol or Tamiya charts like that. As these are the only paints available over here what would be the closest match in those products.
Thanks
Phil
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

If you google the FS color, you can find info. This link has nice size color chips. Looks like it is almost a dark gull gray with a bit of a metallic sheen..

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=37200

But then ScaleHobbyist.com shows it much lighter

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufactu ... roduct.php

Lifecolor seems to have it - get the acrylic and it can be shipped. Not much help, I'm afraid.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Skil Phil

Post by Skil Phil »

Thanks,
Shipping is not an option at this time. Our post office is practically non functional. Always on strike and warehouses full of undeliverd post.
Would not like to take the risk and never get it.
Thanks for the links. Will see if I can get a match next time in town.
The part is the engine outlet/exhaust on an Impala Mk2 (Macchi 326K)

The included instruction sheet says flat gun metal also matched to Model Master 1405.
Checked the model master color chart and that says metallic and is almost black not like the FS 37200 grey.
To me gun metal would almost black and not grey.
"So much to learn - So little time" :)

Phil
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

try adding a few drops of a silver of some type to a bit of the gunmetal....that may lighten it up.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”