Essential Subjects

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Essential Subjects

Post by CallSignOWL »

What are some subjects you think every modeler must have built or at least have in the stash?

Obviously the mainstays like the F-16, F-4, p-51, spitfire, -109....but what about the Toryu, Fulmar, or IL-2?

my "Must Have's" include the P-39, Stuka, B-24, Hurricane, Voodoo, Bearcat, Harrier, Mig-21, F-8, and Tornado

what do you think are the "must-haves" in any modeller's collection?
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Fermis
Addicted Member

Re: Essential Subjects

Post by Fermis »

A-7 Corsair II.

One of the finest displays of aviation badassery ever!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I suppose most aircraft modelers build warplanes, and as such you want the warplanes that left a mark on history. For WWI aircraft such as the Fokker Dr.I and D.VII. the Sopwith Camel, and any of the various marks of SPAD and Nieuport. For WWII the Spitfire, Mustang, P-40, C-47, B-17, B-25, Me/Bf-109, Stuka, SBD, F4U, P-38, Zero, Oscar, Sturmovik, Yak-1 amongst others. The list really can be huge of WWII Subjects. For Korea it is really simple the two that epitomized the air war there, the F-86 and Mig-15. For the rest of the jet age the must haves (to me) are: The F-4 Phamily, the Mig-21 family, the Mirage III/V, F-16, F-15, Mig-17, Hawker Hunter, Skyhawk, F-5, the Harrier family, the B-52, the C-130, UH-1 Huey... I could easily add a couple dozen more but will leave it with these. :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Im sure this has come up before.

I think the mainstays are the P-51, the Spitfire and the 109.

There are alot more out there, but those 3 are good to cut your teeth on. Aircraft with alot of references, and a ton of different kits in different scales, manufacturers, price ranges, schemes and quality. Theyre usually a simple build in the smaller scales, with just enough complexity to know where its going to lead, and they give newbies a chance to get their feet wet without getting in over their heads.

For me the essentials to have are the corsair (F4U) and the skyhawk. Both of which i have either built or in the stash. The reason is because theyre the most readily knowable RNZAF aircraft.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

all those are awesome suggestions guys!

how long yall think itll take for manny to include his -229? :Bat:

:peace:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

CallSignOWL wrote:all those are awesome suggestions guys!

how long yall think itll take for manny to include his -229? :Bat:

:peace:
HO...

:GM:
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Fermis wrote:A-7 Corsair II.

One of the finest displays of aviation badassery ever!

Yeah, but have you ever modeled one??? :bored:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

JimD wrote: I have begun to believe there are "essential" kits that should be build because of their quality. I sincerely believe if you end up at the great bench in the sky and haven't had the pleasure of a Tamiya 1/32 fighter or Wingnuts kit you've done yourself an injustice. :guitar:
That will be me. I honestly never see myself building either type, because 1) the Tamiya 1/32 kits are way outside my price range, and 2) I have no interest in any large scale WWI aircraft kits, no matter how fabulous they may be. If WNW ever turns their efforts to something that piques my interest, and is within my affordable price range, then I will seriously consider buying one of their kits. Until then I'll stick with my stash full of older and/or smaller scale kits. I do not begrudge other's these kits, if one has the wallet and display space for them, more power to ya, but they are not for me.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”