Once you go...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Hercmech

Re: Once you go...

Post by Hercmech »

I agree with you. I love me some Mr. Color...and Tamiya thinned with Leveling thinner. So easy to work with. I have cracked the Vallejo code but man it takes practice and patience to get it to flow right...and not tip dry
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Okay, Herc, so what is the secret to Vallejo? :stirpot: You cant leave us hanging! I primarily use Model Master, primarily because at the LHS, its the most readily available. I also have some Humbrol Acryl on hand, but have yet to give it a try.
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

I started using Gunze paints and finishing products during the late 1990s and I wouldn't want to do without them again. As far as I'm concerned, Gunze paints have become a no-brainer.

I'm mainly using the water-soluble Mr.Aqueous Hobby Color acrylics. Though being labeled and marketed as "water based" acrylic paint, it's a more or less misleading declaration, yet still containing ~20% acohol as main thinning agent. The organic solvent-based Mr.Color acrylics are less common here in Germany and are mostly sold as sets.

When it comes to thinning, Mr.Color Thinner is my weapon of choice. Though it's intended to be used with the solvent-based acrylics, Mr.Color Thinner thins/dilutes pretty much any product from the Gunze range:

In contrast to Gunze's dedicated Mr.Hobby Color thinner, which exclusively works with their Mr.Aqueous paints.

Tamiya X-20A, IPA, Vodka or even Windex will do the job, too. However, I'd strongly recommend to stay away from Windex: it contains ammonia - one of the most effective solvents for acrylics but one of the best agents to gradually damage and dissolve your airbrush's shiny chrome plating.
:that:
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

LyleW wrote:Starting to use lacquer thinner more...when I don't knock over the can, doh. Nebver haedd a lpweroblem.

?? You picked a bad day.... :giggles:
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Na, that´s a good day for him... :lashed:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

AIRFIXER wrote:
Tamiya X-20A, IPA, Vodka or even Windex will do the job, too. :that:
Wait... Vodka?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Give me Model Master and Humbrol or give me death... :dancing:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Manny, do you have a local source for the Humbrol? I don't think I've seen it in the LHS that is most likely to have it. the other is a Hobby Town - I know I haven't seen it there.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

LyleW wrote:Manny, do you have a local source for the Humbrol? I don't think I've seen it in the LHS that is most likely to have it. the other is a Hobby Town - I know I haven't seen it there.
Unfortunately I dont...it has become a hard to come by paint...it, IMO, is the best paint for painting figs and 1/35th accessories...it has a rich pigment and a hearty texture that no other paint has...
Hercmech

Post by Hercmech »

jelliott523 wrote:Okay, Herc, so what is the secret to Vallejo? :stirpot: You cant leave us hanging! I primarily use Model Master, primarily because at the LHS, its the most readily available. I also have some Humbrol Acryl on hand, but have yet to give it a try.
What I do is add the paint...then a few drops of Vallejo retarder (I have some of the new Airbrush flow improver that I have been using as well.) then I add Vallejo Airbrush cleaner till it is about like whole milk consistency. That is it. Sprays fine with only a little tip dry. I have used windex to thin it to great effect to...but it dries on the tip a little faster.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”