Once you go...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Hercmech

Re: Once you go...

Post by Hercmech »

Manny1943 wrote:
LyleW wrote:Manny, do you have a local source for the Humbrol? I don't think I've seen it in the LHS that is most likely to have it. the other is a Hobby Town - I know I haven't seen it there.
Unfortunately I dont...it has become a hard to come by paint...it, IMO, is the best paint for painting figs and 1/35th accessories...it has a rich pigment and a hearty texture that no other paint has...
I have two LHS that carry it. Now if they would just get rid of the tins....I have the tins. I wish they would go to the dropper style like Vallejo/Ammo of Mig/ AK Interactive etc... or Tamiya type jars.
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Herc, thanks for the information. I've been reluctant at shooting Vallejo through my airbrush because of all the negative publicity I had read about doing so, even with the Model Air brand. Might have to give it a go.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Hercmech wrote:
Manny1943 wrote: Unfortunately I dont...it has become a hard to come by paint...it, IMO, is the best paint for painting figs and 1/35th accessories...it has a rich pigment and a hearty texture that no other paint has...
I have two LHS that carry it. Now if they would just get rid of the tins....I have the tins. I wish they would go to the dropper style like Vallejo/Ammo of Mig/ AK Interactive etc... or Tamiya type jars.
Agree that the tins are archaic...part of me thinks they want them to dry up prematurely so it increases their sales... :ballbat:
Hercmech

Post by Hercmech »

I have two LHS that carry it. Now if they would just get rid of the tins....I hate the tins. I wish they would go to the dropper style like Vallejo/Ammo of Mig/ AK Interactive etc... or Tamiya type jars.
Agree that the tins are archaic...part of me thinks they want them to dry up prematurely so it increases their sales... :ballbat:
I think you may be on to something there. I have yet to be able to get them to seal right after opening.
Hercmech

Post by Hercmech »

jelliott523 wrote:Herc, thanks for the information. I've been reluctant at shooting Vallejo through my airbrush because of all the negative publicity I had read about doing so, even with the Model Air brand. Might have to give it a go.

Once you figure it out it is really good stuff. Nice and opaque... and lots of colors to choose from. Just don't thin the model air too much t does not need it.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Hercmech wrote:
I have two LHS that carry it. Now if they would just get rid of the tins....I hate the tins. I wish they would go to the dropper style like Vallejo/Ammo of Mig/ AK Interactive etc... or Tamiya type jars.
I think you may be on to something there. I have yet to be able to get them to seal right after opening.

Also... the newer formula (wait, have they since switched back?) that they tried out a few years back seemed to start "skinning" the 2nd or 3rd time you had the tin open. Meanwhile, I still have some tins from wayyyyy back, 10-15 years, that are fine, so long as I keep that cap area clean.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:Manny, do you have a local source for the Humbrol? I don't think I've seen it in the LHS that is most likely to have it. the other is a Hobby Town - I know I haven't seen it there.
Both of the local shops that I frequent, Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove,CA, and Military Hobbies in Orange, CA, carry the latest full incarnations of the Humbrol and Model Master enamel paint lines. Good stuff.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

VanceCrozier wrote:
Hercmech wrote: I think you may be on to something there. I have yet to be able to get them to seal right after opening.

Also... the newer formula (wait, have they since switched back?) that they tried out a few years back seemed to start "skinning" the 2nd or 3rd time you had the tin open. Meanwhile, I still have some tins from wayyyyy back, 10-15 years, that are fine, so long as I keep that cap area clean.
Skinning??? :Squirrel: ...please explain...
Sprue-ce Goose
Advanced Member

Post by Sprue-ce Goose »

Manny1943 wrote:
VanceCrozier wrote: Also... the newer formula (wait, have they since switched back?) that they tried out a few years back seemed to start "skinning" the 2nd or 3rd time you had the tin open. Meanwhile, I still have some tins from wayyyyy back, 10-15 years, that are fine, so long as I keep that cap area clean.
Skinning??? :Squirrel: ...please explain...
An Explaination?
Either Vance is skinning squirrels Image like FERMIS skins deer, or Vance means the exposed layer of paint dries, leaving a "skin" or thin layer of congealed or dried paint on top of the exposed paint in the tin.

BTW......a question for Lyle: why does the :Squirrel: image have the software description of "Squirrel" when a squirrel looks like this : Image ?

:Squirrel: looks more like a Canadian beaver to me.......... :giggles:
Last edited by Sprue-ce Goose on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Because Lyle's bad eyes saw a squirrel!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”