Best bang for buck

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Best bang for buck

Post by scorpiomikey »

Out of all the kits you guys build, which kit do you feel has given you the best bang for buck? Whether it be best accuracy, most enjoyable build, easiest build etc. for the best price.
And if you cant think of a specific kit, how about brand? RoG? Eduard? Tamiya? Whats your choice for best value for money?

For me, Revell is a nice balance of quality and price, but in terms of a specific kit, i havent got enough under my belt to make an informed decision on that one.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Re: Best bang for buck

Post by CallSignOWL »

scorpiomikey wrote:Out of all the kits you guys build, which kit do you feel has given you the best bang for buck? Whether it be best accuracy, most enjoyable build, easiest build etc. for the best price.
And if you cant think of a specific kit, how about brand? RoG? Eduard? Tamiya? Whats your choice for best value for money?

For me, Revell is a nice balance of quality and price, but in terms of a specific kit, i havent got enough under my belt to make an informed decision on that one.

yeah, revell/monogram is certainly up there for me: good prices, good detail. Im spoiled by them. Sometimes, I find the detail in the revel-gram kits is better than the detail included by the likes of, say, hasegawa!! Their p-51b and bf-109g are readily available for a good price (even better with a 40% off cupon!) and both build up really well. For a stress-free build, those are my go-to kits.

For me its ultimately about enjoyability of construction, and price. I wont be happy if it builds well, but is expensive...nor if its cheap but has a crappy fit.
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

I build mostly armor.I really enjoy Dragon kits,They usually add lots of extras like metal barrels,PE.Usually a good level of detailing and molding.Prices have been going up,but I think their still a good value.

Tamiya is also very good,less complicated,less extras,but pricey.Good if you value a trouble free build.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Can you better define "bang"? :hmm:
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

:quotes: What happens in Munich, stays in Munich... :quotes:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Um…. Most Airfix new tool kits 1/72 are pretty good – cheap and build up really nicely. But I would have to say the best money I spent was a Tamiya 1/48 P-51D – Picked it up for about £14-00, lovely to build and looks supurb…

(well unless I build it....)

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Beautiful piece of work, Portman! Sure is pretty.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

I'd have to say, 1/32 aircraft wise, it's a tie between Tamiya and Special Hobby. I've been building Tamiya kits since the early 80s, and the quality as well as the ease of assembly for the price, hasn't changed. The Spitfire Mk.IX was in par with what I remember.

Special Hobby was a pleasant surprise for me. The Fiat G.50 Freccia was a good price, (roughly $50), with plenty of great resin goodies, some photo-etch, fairly easy to assemble and very few fit issues.

As for armor, I'd have to say Dragon and Tamiya are neck in neck, but almost every armor kit I've built has had it's share of ups and downs.
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I look at "bang for buck" as bench time vs. cost.
To top my list, I'd have to say the 1/48 Revellogram TBD-1. Picked it up for $10. Did a ton of reworking the thing...in the end, it ended up costing me about a penny per hour!!!

Return to “Modeling Discussion”