1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Re: 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Post by VanceCrozier »

Thanks gents - had almost forgotten how much I love the shape of this thing. Supermarine built a beauty here.

Think I'm down to the remaining stencils + landing gear & a few fiddlybits. Good outdoor weather over the next few days so I likely won't have much bench time til the weekend. I can get a few more decals on in the meantime though.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man that is a real sweet looking build! Comparing this to the old Hawk kit is to see how far that plastic models have come in the past 50+ years...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Great work Vance, the Swift does look very good.
ImageImageImageImageImage
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

VanceCrozier wrote:WOW!!!! Been a busy summer, with little consistent bench time. Fresh of a vacation week, got some bench time over the weekend!
:dancing:

Primer on & buffed...

Love the "relaxed" masking of the canopy! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

lol, I know - it was like the liquid mask was "creeping" under the edges of the tape. Every time I looked there was another piece curling away from the plastic! Ended up using so much of the liquid, I may as well have used only that.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Dozens of dastardly decals, dealt with...

underside

From the rear:

From the front:

Fiddlybits, need a few touchups, as the black areas of the decals didn't actually quite match up with the shapes.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That looks really nice - great work.

I've been waiting to get this kit since it was supposed to be releaed last year :clockwatch: I'm certainly going to get one after seeing your build!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Thanks Portman! I set it aside for a few months for some reason, but it really is a nice building kit. I had a little difficulty with the fuselage halves, trapping all the sub-assemblies in between, but after reading a (professional) build review, I think there may have been a pair of tabs near the cockpit that needed to be dealt with, that I missed. :bag:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:grin: I wouldn't worry, I think it's a common 'issue' with new tool airifx kits, the tolerances are so tight on the cockpit parts that if you add paint it makes them harder to fit :headslap: it's caught me out a few builds.

I do like the old Grey/Green camo the RAF used to use, with all then ice colourful squadron markings, it makes me wonder what my Mig-27D would look like in that scheme.... :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

OK, so... considering how close to the end this baby is, it just kinda stalled out & went away. The reason?? Apparently my Tamiya panel line wash was a little more aggressive than my Future could handle.

:scream:

Not enough Future? Too many rounds of washes?? Both??? Who knows. Anyway, sat down yesterday & over-painted the streaky areas, including a few of the stencils, which isn't a bad thing anyway I suppose. Anyway, she's back in business as of last night.

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”