1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Post by VanceCrozier »

(considering the Airfix site is still showing this baby as a pre-order... uhhhhh, don't rat me out, maybe my LHS wasn't supposed to have it in hand for sale yet?? The world wonders....)

Placeholder for now, will start getting pics up as soon as I can.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I think that kit is out for a few months. I found this review from December last year

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean ... a04003.htm

Sounds like you chose a very nice kit to build.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Do it!!! :clockwatch:
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:I think that kit is out for a few months. I found this review from December last year

Maybe Airfix just needs to update their store listings? I really haven't seen it available anywhere over here either/ Maybe pre-orders snapped up the first shipments?

Anyway, yes, now that I have this out of the box & underway, I'm really liking the shape of this Swift. I suspect I'lk be watching for another once Airfix starts boxing alternates.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

VanceCrozier wrote:
BorgR3mc0 wrote:I think that kit is out for a few months. I found this review from December last year

Maybe Airfix just needs to update their store listings? I really haven't seen it available anywhere over here either/ Maybe pre-orders snapped up the first shipments?

Anyway, yes, now that I have this out of the box & underway, I'm really liking the shape of this Swift. I suspect I'lk be watching for another once Airfix starts boxing alternates.
Well the :quotes: quick :quotes: version of the story is - they manaufactured the 1st batch and sent most of them to North America - and then some pillock damaged the tooling so they've not been able to make any more! You can order them over here - but seeing as how the average shipping time is 4-6 weeks I'd say that people are importing them... Really annoying though as that was on my to get list... :ballbat:

Nice choice though - looking forward to seeing it come together.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

portman wrote:
VanceCrozier wrote:

Well the :quotes: quick :quotes: version of the story is - they manaufactured the 1st batch and sent most of them to North America - and then some pillock damaged the tooling so they've not been able to make any more! You can order them over here - but seeing as how the average shipping time is 4-6 weeks I'd say that people are importing them... Really annoying though as that was on my to get list... :ballbat:

Nice choice though - looking forward to seeing it come together.

:headslap: NOOOO!!!!!!! Oh man, hope they're re-tooling it, this is a nice little kit.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Well here we go, sprue shots. It's funny, not that long ago, a series of Airfix sprue shots would always be accompanied with things like "too thick", "I'll have to do something about", "maybe I can..." No more! Fairly small aircraft, lots of parts, gorgeous detail. (Although I'd prefer raised details on the instrument panel)

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Gear bays & other "visible interiors" get aluminum, wash will bring out those details nicely.

Annnnd the ejection seat assembly. Very nice, think I need to add a couple grab-handles though?

And confession time - instrument panel DECALS on a compound surface are not a good thing. I should have sliced it up and applied it, but the multi-panel shape really didn't seem to match up with the instruments' positioning. Will touch up the visible parts with paint.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Not Fair - boohoo :hissy: wwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :sad: :sad: :sad: sniff.... Want one :wub:

:beau:

That looks really nice! And a great start - you did a nice job of that seat.

I agree with you though - the only thing I REALLY don't like about these new Airfix kits are the naff IP decals - they are far too glossy, out of scale and far too big - I've never had one fit and look good, I naormally make my own or replace them these days.

looking forward to seeing more.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Most of the time I don't mind a 1/72 kit with decal instruments - with the canopy closed, most can't be seen all that well anyway. I even took a look around for aftermarket replacements for that instrument panel - nothing available yet unfortunately. Touchups & closed canopy should do the trick.

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”