1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (Finished)....

Any aircraft, or missile manufactured by Messerschmitt under said name. Bölkow-Blohm and subsequent merger and takeover aircraft are excluded.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (Finished)....

Post by lawdog114 »

I'm back for one more if that's ok with y'all. I was going to build a P-51B but I'm still in Luftwaffen mood...ehhh, why fight it. So here I am with the proverbial shake-n-bake Tamiya Emil E-4. Its another one of those kits that has a permanent place in my stash since I bought several from Hobby Lobby back when they carried the good stuff. I found a True Details seat in the resin stash and may add more goodies later. I hope to find an E-4 that didn't have a yellow nose or alot of mottling, to keep it simple. As a matter of fact, I have yet to build an Emil that did not have a yellow nose.....

I started with the cockpit. Although basic, I think its fairly nice. It's nowhere near their new tooled zeros or P-47 series, but certainly useable. I left it at replacing the seat with a True Details example which goes a long way at dressing it up (I thought the seat back cushion was a nice touch by TD). I then went with Gunze RLM 02 for everything except the IP, which got RLM 66. I used the kit decal under Micro Sol for the gauges then 5 minute epoxy on the dials to simulate glass.

Fits like a glove.....

A quick test fit....no wing root issues.....shake-n-bake indeed :giggles:

Joe
Last edited by lawdog114 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (therapy build)....

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That is a very nice cockpit. And that seat is in full view so it definetly adds a lot.
ImageImageImageImageImage
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

TD pits are the bomb :FM:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
RedRoo

Post by RedRoo »

I am always fascinated by just how simple you guys make your builds look.:-/

I really struggle with the "Get the look right" thing and I either over bake or miss something.

From what I am seeing here, it will be such a joy to have in your display case. :bow:

When I clickd on the 'Join Us" button you left behind on my post, I didn't know what to expect.

I am sure glad I hit it.

Cheers.Kezza. :-)
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Lovely looking build thus far - the interior looks great.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a pre-Yellow nose scheme - I've seen them on 1/72 kits so they should be out there for 1/48
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Following a new wip from you is like meeting a good old friend again. I simply enjoy it.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Sorry I haven't had any updates recently. I decided to take a break from modeling for a while. Call it a funk if you will. I guess it happens to all of us at one time or another. I suppose the fact that my air compressor is dying and I need a new airbrush needle hasn't inspired me much either. Last night me and Net Flix hit the bench for a while. As I indicated, I want a plain Jane Emil, nothing fancy. I have enough yellow-nosed 109's. I ultimately decided on Horst Tietzen's JG 51 Emil from the Battle of Britain. I just love their deranged penguin emblem. I have no idea which variant Emil he flew, nor do I really care. Its my understanding the only visual difference between the 3 and 4 is the canopy. The Sky Decals sheet I'm using says it was an E-5. I seriously doubt a 27 victory ace was doing it in a recon version, so this is probably erroneous.

Theres nothing to say about Tamiya Emils construction-wise.....complete joy. I preshaded all panel lines flat black then started the scheme. I made my own concoction of RLM 65 with XF-23 Light Blue and XF-2 Flat White, about half and half. Once down, she got a post shade of diluted XF-69 NATO Black and XF-64 Red Brown for weathering. I wanted it dirty so pushed past my comfort zone again...

This Emil would apparently carry the standard RLM 02/71 uppers. I then realized I was down to merely drops of my Gunze Aqueous RLM 02. Using the said remaining as reference, I decided to recreate it with Tamiya. I used XF-22 RLM Grey and lightened it with a touch of XF-2 Flat White. I then added a few drops of XF-49 Khaki and it seemed to be an identical match. I sprayed it down and was pleased. I then faded it with more white and added condensation streaks.

Next up was the RLM 71. I taped off a typical Battle of Britain splinter pattern using an old Aeromaster Battle of Britain sheet as reference. I then used Gunze Aqueous for RLM 71. Once down, I added XF-57 Buff to add condensation streaks.

I added a bit more underside grit...

I ordered a few resin goodies for this guy (guns and tires) which should be here anyday.

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Joe, that is some fine weathering, washing, etc. well done!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

that is some spectacular airbrushing work!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others

Return to “Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler Official Messerschmitt Group Build 2015”