Just had a really good laugh.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
RexCag
Advanced Member

Re: Just had a really good laugh.

Post by RexCag »

Jim, you hit the nail right square on the head with this line. "Also, a lot of the times when these characters do build and post pics it becomes clear they should probably focus more on polishing their basic building and painting skills. Seems kind of stupid to be all accuracy obsessed when your building skills don't warrant it."

It doesn't matter to me if I have a panel line out of place if I don't even know how to fill that big honking seam along the top of every aircraft model.

Unfilled fuselage seams bother me so much that I almost broke the rules of engagement set forth by Jeffrey when I repainted that Corsair I posted. (in that case, it would have been cheating, though) But, boy it sure stands out when I look at that model in person.

There is one big thing that causes so much angst over this. That is simple acceptance of other people's idea of a hobby. If 37 modelers are in a room, and all have a model to show, and they are done to 37 different styles and sets of standards,,,,,,,where exactly is the harm to the other 36?

My own basic "method of madness" in all of this is that I believe that the "wrong kit" and the "wrong paints" cost the same to buy as the "right kit" and the "right paints",,,,,so, I do my best to combine them in a way that I enjoy. (and don't forget, I have a huge stash of the "wrong kits, wrong paints, wrong decals, and wrong detail parts" also, not just the Perfect Stuff)

As for the Nerd sub-thread,,,,,,,,,Anne always says this about me going off to look at resin sets and detail books "There goes Rex, looking for more Nerd Food" Like many of you here, I have worn the Nerd label with pride for many years,,,,,,even while in the Marines, lol.

Joe, the term was actually first used in Model Railroading, then adopted by plastic modelers.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've even experienced 'Rivet Counting' in a WHAT-IF GB... :headbang: - along the lines of, ''this is totally implausable'' :headslap:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

portman wrote:I've even experienced 'Rivet Counting' in a WHAT-IF GB... :headbang: - along the lines of, ''this is totally implausable'' :headslap:
I had someone get personally offended that I painted the cockpit of my helo grey instead of black. By the time he pointed this out on the build, I had already detailed everything! I chalked it up to experience, but he went on this angry tirade..... :bag: .
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Haha, Miss Owl.

Let me share a model idea I have been kicking around in my head for a while now. It is a sort of thread hijack, but, it is in the spirit of this thread.

If you build Hasegawa new tooled 1/72 Phantoms, you know that there are "common sprues" in the boxes, to cover all the variations that the kit could be released as. The company then just switches out the fuselage and wing parts, and pylons,,,,,,,,for the differences between USN, USAF, Recce, or Israeli, etc.

I have always wanted to deliberately pick out the "wrong detail parts" and put one together with, for example, the F-4D fuselage parts, but, thin wings of the F-4B, the thick wheels of the F-4J, an F-4B tail tip, F-4E engines, an F-4C nose, USN nose gear door,,,,,and paint it up as an F-4G Wild Weasel.

Since some of the boxings have that combination of parts in them (with some marked as Not For Use),,,,,,,,,,it could be entered in the OOB category. You build that, pay the 10 bucks to enter it, and stand back and listen to see if the "experts" can catch all of the errors in it,,,,,,or if they miss some of them.

Sharing this idea was prompted by me thinking "I'd paint every one of my pits the slightly "wrong" color for that guy to see" when reading about your model.
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

lol, Doc

There is a corollary to that story though.

There are all the people that know that any attempt to get actual info on the "big sites" to help them build a model is likely to have more "it's your model, do it your way" posts in the thread than actual detail help.

I seem to have stumbled onto a site that actually seems to support a sort of "anti accuracy" culture in the posts,,,,,,,,which makes me really nervous about posting actual help on here when someone asks a question that I know the answer to or can look up for them.

If your Billy had asked ahead of time, those same Nit Pickers would have posted their thoughts on what he should buy or what he should do before he committed his money on things for his model. That is, if the site he asks on condones that sort of help,,,,,,,if he is on a "Green is Green" site, he would not get the help he sought,,,,,,,,and the reaction you cite wouldn't be possible because none of "those people" would be members of it.

Oh well, prolly time for Rex to shut up,,,,,,,,,One Thousand Two Hundred and Seventy Twoooo, One Thousand Two Hundred and Seventy-Threeeee, One Thousand Two Hundred and.............
Last edited by RexCag on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

CallSignOWL wrote:
portman wrote:I've even experienced 'Rivet Counting' in a WHAT-IF GB... :headbang: - along the lines of, ''this is totally implausable'' :headslap:
I had someone get personally offended that I painted the cockpit of my helo grey instead of black. By the time he pointed this out on the build, I had already detailed everything! I chalked it up to experience, but he went on this angry tirade..... :bag: .
Yeah, I recall this event... although you have left out a few significant particulars regarding the tale... :happens: :DH:

As for me, some kits I am quite content to build OOB, whatever :quotes: accuracy :quotes: issues it may have be damned. And other kits I like to dress up,,, either with AM or stuff of my own creation and/or salvaged from other kits or the spares bin... Sometimes those dressed up kit projects end up taking far longer than intended. But they also push my skills to a new level on occasion as well. Some are sidelined for various time spans, while others are seen thru to completion non stop. And of course there is the point of diminishing returns. How much do you add to a kit that may or may not be seen, and how much longer will it take you to add those things (or more that you may conjure up?), versus closing it all up without those add ons and finishing it sooner?

I do know that I need to get some kits completed sometime in the near future. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

RexCag wrote:
(...)

I seem to have stumbled onto a site that actually seems to support a sort of "anti accuracy" culture in the posts,,,,,,,,which makes me really nervous about posting actual help on here when someone asks a question that I know the answer to or can look up for them.

(...)
I do not think we have an anti accuracy culture. I think it is more of an open/build what you want the way you want.
We have master modellers like monty/dmminiatures, Cosmo, Fermis but also casual modellers. And everything in between.

Just to give an example. One of my favourite planes is the MiG-3. There are several being build in the Ostfront GB. Colour schemes on these aircraft are debate able. So if someone asks a question I will point them to references, point out differences, suggest what I would do. But I am not going to be mad at someone if they do differently.
Another example in the Ostfront GB. Owl choose the Encore kit of the MiG-3. I do not like that kit, the outline is bad and unfixable in my book. But I am not going to launch an attack on Owl for that! She choose that model (I think primarily because it was it was cheap but that is not the point) and I am sure that she will use all her skills to make the best possible model.

So am I anti accuracy because I am not launching an Encore is unbuildable campaign ? I think not. I have standards I want to achieve but I am not imposing them on others.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Modeling Discussion”