1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread.

Stuart
Elite Member

1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread.

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

Edit - I have one or two unfished Airfix Jets that have been sitting around for ages on the bench for over a year in some places - so I'll be finishing them off in this Big Groupie GB thread...

When I've finished (as long as I don't change my mind - I'll be building Airfix’s new tool Douglas A-4B Skyhawk – pic’s to follow - as I’ve been on a bit of a USN kick this year. This seems to be a really nice little kit that I’ve been looking forward to building for a while. It’s the starter set, but to add to it I’ve got a Pavla resin cockpit, Quickboost gun barrels and a KORA ‘Extra Heavy’ load set – which includes a LOT of mk.82 with MER’s. I might also get a Xtradecal Skyhawk set as although I like the kit decals, I’d like to do a more colourful version.

First up to be finished will be an 1/72 LTV A-7E Corsair II that I started earlier in the year...again I'll upload the Sprueshots etc. this weekend. And This'll probably be joined by my 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.1 that's been sitting unloved since 2013 - this GB is just the time to get it finished!

:dancing:

Cheers!
Last edited by Stuart on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Re: 1/72 Douglas A-4B Skyhawk (+maybe some others)

Post by Manny1943 »

Sounds cool...I believe Fermis did one of these a couple 'o years ago...looks like a cherry kit... :lashed:
Stuart
Elite Member

Re. 1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread

Post by Stuart »

So here are the sprue shots and stuff for the A-4 if I get to it....

looks to be a sweet little kit.

Cheers!
Last edited by Stuart on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread

Post by Stuart »

And the old tool Corsair II - this is where I got with it a few months ago - I scratch built an ip and sidewalls along with a stick and rudder pedals.

I intend to SB a HUD for the and maybe arm it for an Iron Hand Mission with some HARMs from my Hasagawa A-4E

Cheers

Stuart
Last edited by Stuart on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread

Post by Stuart »

I've had a bit of a re-think for this build - so I've re-named the thread, otherwise it's going to be ages until I can get started. So this thread will be a combination of my various 1/72 Jet builds this year. - I will build the A-4 - but first I want to finish up a couple of started kits that I have on the bench, and next month I'll be leading a 'Classic' Airfix GB on another forum - which will involve an F-18A - so I'll post this up here too.

So sorry for the confusion, I'll do away with myself in a minute... :bang:

Although they are much maligned I love the old Pre-hornby Airfix Jets.

Yes they have :quotes: raised panel lines :quotes: and are a bit soft on detail, but they are always fun builds and generally look like their subject once finished - I have :hmm: 8 in the stash at present.

No they are probably not as good as the modern stuff in regards to fit and detail - BUT they still have a worthly place on the shelf too...

That's my excuse anyway... I am probably the only Airfix Jet BIG Groupie! :dancing:

LyleW
Admin

Re: 1/72 Odds and sods - Jets Thread.

Post by LyleW »

Stuart, you are such a mess! Love it........
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

oooooh fun fun fun
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:Stuart, you are such a mess! Love it........
yep - that's me (I'll probably change my mind again next week) :headslap:

Actually though - having a big pile of wip has been driving me mad this year. one of the other forums I'm on runs it's GB's on a monthly basis - and for some stupid reason (caught up in the moment I guess) I joined one or two a month for the last six months of 2014 - which not only put all my wip on long term hold - it also left me with a load more half finished kits and a good case of burn out. I did try to join a few this year - BUT I just can't get into them and I have to say my participation on the forum has dropped off as well. I love GB's , but they should be fun and not a burden - it was starting to feel like WORK! So this year I'm just trying to concentrate on finishing what I've already started, and joining some much longer running GB's - like this one...

Anyway - I have actually done some building - and am in the process of actually uploading pictures :roll:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

CallSignOWL wrote:oooooh fun fun fun
:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hi Guys,

So this is my 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon as it stands - work so far included scratch-building an interior, (as there were no side panel or IP decals included in the starter set decal sheet), detailing the DASS pods, removing the PIRATE sensor and sorting out the poorly fitting intakes. I have also filled in the gaps around the airbrake so I can re-scribe and make it look bigger. I’ve also removed a bad warp from the stbd wing and added a cross tube between were the canards go to give them a bit of strength.

Next job is to SB a HUD, and detail the insides of the exhausts.

And this is where I got today with the Corsair. I’ve filled and sanded the seams (need to sort out the missing raised panel lines) and added the outer wings – I was going to do it wings up but decided to go full span instead.

Next job is also a HUD, and getting the main gear together ( I wouldn’t normally do that but the assembly on this one means you have to attach the nose gear and I’m afraid it’ll get damaged without the main legs to balance it.

Both these kits have been really good fun; despite the work that’s been need to tidy them up.

Cheers and Happy modelling!
Last edited by Stuart on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”