Sharkmouth Bf-110c (FINISHED)

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Sharkmouth Bf-110c

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Steel wool? How do you mean you'll buff things up with steel wool? Curious and eager to learn a new trick or two....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Manny1943 wrote: :hmm:
does my zerstorer not pass inspection, Herr Field Marshal? :bag:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Steel wool? How do you mean you'll buff things up with steel wool? Curious and eager to learn a new trick or two....
yah, I take a glob of 0000 steel wool (find it in the paint section at at hardware store), and scrub the plane with it. The 0000 is a finishing grit, and it evens out the paint ridges, as well as making things smooth for the gloss coat. Kinda gives things a semi-gloss sheen. You can also use it on BMF to change the tone of the foil

this is the bag I have, I think it was only like 4 bucks or something. Its lasted a long time too!!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks like I'm gonna watch this to get a better understanding on what you're trying to achieve using steel wool. I'm guessing more of a worn finish? :oops: :blush: :hmm:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looks like I'm gonna watch this to get a better understanding on what you're trying to achieve using steel wool. I'm guessing more of a worn finish? :oops: :blush: :hmm:
It certainly helps achieve that. But im more focused on getting rid of some of those brush marks! lol

Ill be repainting any spots that get worn away. :)
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

JimD wrote::hmm: I'm guessing this stuff is less abrasive than the steel wool I'm familiar with? Not familiar with it but the words "scrubbing," "model," and "steel wool" terrifies me.
yeah, its not the kitchen scrubber!!

0000 is used for polishing
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

:hmm: I tend to use foam blocks for that. You know, the kinda thing the ladies use to sand, buff and smooth their nails. Buy em at CVS or Riteaid for a buck. They come in all kinds of coarseness. The foam will soften up over time and will follow any curve perfectly.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/h ... 57664.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Haven't used the 4-oh steel wool on models, but on wood finishes, paint, etc. it does just what Owl said. It will knock down inconsistencies and create a smooth, satin fininsh. Had not thought to try that.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking good OWL!

Love the steel wool idea - I've never thought of doing anything like that, and a lot of my brush work could probably use it.

Thanks!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”