1/16 German Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H Medium Tank - Trumpeter

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Bish
Master Member

Re: 1/16 German Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H Medium Tank - Trumpeter

Post by Bish »

Nice looking build. I would love to get one of these big tank kit, so will be watching closely. Some nice looking detail but some poor design to go with it.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Looks like you got your bench filled for awhile. Emphasis on :quotes: filled :quotes: Looking good Thomas!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thank you all!

Spend most of Sunday afternoon working, cleaning and glueing the suspension units (x8). Will be fun to sand the multiple-leaf springs... But not today. Got a nice parcel full of new colours, mostly MiG acrylics. Hope to do some work on this tank tomorrow again.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Worked on the suspension boogies, each being build up from 8 parts. Make this x8...I only wonder why Trumpeter decided to make the leaf springs from two parts, to be glued and sanded when dry. After each assembly step there is the need to apply more filler and sand. :ballbat:

Only one boogie has been assembled so far due to the need to putty and sand. Not my favourite task...

Prepared, glued and primed the return rollers, of which two different versions are given in the kit. Priming revealed some few spots that needed more sanding, already done.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Fun thing on such a suitcase full of plastic parts to assemble is that I can switch to other stuff when I feel the need to do so. Felt so after working on the suspension boogies...

Decided to bend some PE parts and assemble one of at least three ammo storage racks:

I also prepared the idler wheels and drive sprockets. Last ones are in two halves and do not fit at all into each other! :ggun:
Gave them a shot on a late war sand yellow from AMMO.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I take a guess that this here is a small combustion engine to drive a generator? Anybody knows more?
Hey, it has an exhaust pipe, so it must be a combustion engine, no?

Also the generator (?) has been assembled and got a coat of AMMO Grey Base, a colour used for engines and stuff. More on AMMO´s text on the backside of their "Interior Colors - German Tanks 1939-1945" paint collection.

The small PE piece acts as a shield, protecting the generator from the heat of the exhaust pipe of the engine shown above.

See the backside of the interiour colour set, explaining the use of some really surprising colours inside German tanks!

I also got this set of late war German camouflage colours from AMMO, used "in 1944 and 1945".

So far those colours spray surprisingly well, using their own thinner!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Another "side project", the deflector frame of the 7.5 cm main gun. Airbrushed using AMMO´s "Cremeweiss" (cream white) interior colour.

The tank´s Maybach engine, primed and airbrushed in AMMO´s Grey Base colour. Later I added a coat of Tamyia Gloss as a barrier for washes and stuff, still to be done.

A close-up shot of the "welded" spot we have seen earlier. Trumpeter´s mismatch now hidden.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Trumpeter did a wondeful job on the kit´s SSG77 transmission! I am very impressed by all the details recreated here! After priming and sanding the transmission got airbrushed using AMMO´s Bright Green colour, also given in the interior set.

Close-up of the gear lever. Decals are from Archer and the spare box.

Cooling grilles on the back side of the transmission. Here a fan with an exhaust air duct will be added later.

The front side of the transmission. Remember this one part that had all the ejector marks on the visible side? All traces gone after careful filling and sanding. Phew...

Some work has been done on the instrument panel. One of the decals refused to "cooperate", will be repaired later. Trumpeter´s decals given in this kit seem to need lots of water or they stuck in place where they are applied to...

So far for today. Hope you like it!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thomas_M wrote: So far for today. Hope you like it!
What a fantastic kit (despite some "issues" in the quality), very interesting to follow your great build!
The paintwork of the transmission box is just so perfect!

:bow:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

:shoutout: :popcorn: :shoutout: