Do we have a Trophy Case?

If you participate and bring home awards, please tell us about it here!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Do we have a Trophy Case?

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Congratulations. Well deserved.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Yeah that's really something to place on a National level. Great stuff Mark!!!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Congrats Mark, well deserved, well done !
Super!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you guys! I appreciate all the commendations from you. These were certainly an unexpected Bonus from that week; something I would never have expected.

As I always say: "I'm locked for Fifth in all my categories!" This time, I moved even higher.

(NOTE: for those unfamiliar with IPMS awards; there is no Fifth place; hence the joke!) :giggles:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Wow! I just stumbled across this thread and I want to extend me heartfelt congratulations to all you talented prize winning modelers. Man, you guys have some incredible talents and skills! :shoutout:

I have only entered one model contest. Back in 2003, after I had built the only two tanks I have, I took them down to Kings Hobby in Austin just to get some opinions from the staff there. I hadn't had any feedback since none of my friends or family were modelers and I wanted an honest, outsiders's views. They were very nice and told me I should enter them in an upcoming model contest.

Well, on October 24 my wife and I drove down to Austin and delivered them to the contest site at Austin's Camp Mabry. It was held at their military museum and it is a dilly! If you ever get the chance, I urge you to drop by for a visit. I remember at least two huge dioramas, along with lot's of materiel and vehicles. Their armor collection can be seen outside. Jackie and I got a hotel room and a bite to eat and made it back to the museum for the award announcements. Man, there were some amazing model tanks there! Just incredible builds that I could've looked over for hours. The contest was called the AMPS South Central Regional Show. Although it was primarily an armor contest, the Austin Armor Builder's Society also sponsored a "Tank Buster Challenge" open to any anti-tank aircraft. So, I also took along my Hs-129 (Ertl) although I knew it wasn't much of a build. Sure enough, when we returned, my model plane was placed right next to another Hs-129. Unfortunately, that one was built by the estimable Milton Bell of Austin, a really accomplished modeler and it was the Hasegawa version I believe. No, my model plane did not win anything. :whistle:

But, as the winner's names were being called for each category, I almost fell over when I heard my name. I had won 3rd place in a category! No sooner had I returned to Jackie's side, when I was called again for another 3rd place medal. I was shocked! Talk about beginner's luck! :shocked: I felt very honored and more than a bit lucky to have placed at all. And now, all these years later, I still haven't built another tank model! But, I do have three or four in the stash and one o' these days I'll tackle another one. After all, there are NO canopies to mask! :wink: :lol:

1/35 Italeri M-24 Chaffee

1/35 Tamiya. PZKPFW V. Panther Ausf A

I don't know what happened to the red, white and blue ribbons that were attached to the medals. Maybe I gave them to the grandsons? :grin:

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Congratulations Gary, even though it is so many years late. I'm glad that you placed; those models look amazing. Way to go!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

They do look good indeed Gary. Doing well in a contest with that old Tamiya Panther is certainly no small feat. The Italeri Chaffee on the other hand is a beauty of a kit! :wink: One of their best!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I completly forgot about this thread.
My Mayflower won third in Sailing

The Akagi got third in ship dioramas
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Congratulations! I can't figure how your Akagi placed third, but I assume as usual there's a lot of great stuff to compete with. The Mayflower is cool - is that a wooden kit? They have sparked my interest from time to time.
As far as the IPMS nationals - I don't think folks truly understand how difficult it is to place at that level of expert competition considering the IPMS rules/judging. Best of the best.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.

Return to “Member Recognition”