IPMS OC 2015

If you participate and bring home awards, please tell us about it here!
Stikpusher

Re: IPMS OC 2015

Post by Stikpusher »

JimD wrote:No surprise there. Congrats, and well deserved as usual. Next time around just make sure you get some wanged thangs in there.
Thanks Jim... and my wingy things have just not fared as well this year... last year yes... but those damned Wingnut Wings bipes keep blowing them out of the sky... perhaps my Weasel will knock 'em down with it's jet wash... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It all depends on the contest- monthly chapter contests are have the competitions at skill level: Junior, Novice, Advanced, and Master, but they are open to anything competing against modelers of the same skill level, plus a monthly theme, and a judges choice. Mind you, some of our monthly chapter contests can have a lot of entries of every imaginable genre. And of course the Theme award such as my U-boat are for whatever the monthly contest happens to be themed. I kinda stacked the deck and brought a whole bunch of sub builds to swamp the competition :giggles: And the Judges Choice award is for whichever build catches the judges eye for the best of show. The regional and annual contests break down into all the traditional sub categories. The bigger the event, the more sub categories that can be found, depending upon the host. And of course they usually have theme awards as well as the standard Best of Show also.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Missed this one! Congrats on the wins stik!!! Cleanin' house I see......
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Sorry for being a bit lat. Congrats on that prices. Like the others said, they seem to be well deserved!
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Congrats and well done Carlos.

I do want to clarify something which would explain the reason Wingnuts Wings kits tend to win a lot. At the IPMS monthly meetings, judging is more of a 'popular vote', with more people choosing what they like, while many other will judge as if at a contest to sharpen their judging skills. The Them awards and Judges Choice however, are judged according to IPMS Nationals standards by three other qualified judges before a decision is made. I know, I was part of the Theme/Judges Choice judging team a few times. So, winning one of those tends to be a bigger deal than the First, Second, Thirds that are awarded.

Orangecon, however, is judged by IPMS Nationals standards as strictly as possible by qualified judges that have done judging for years. Any new judges that are brought in are placed with a pair of seasoned and experienced judges in order to learn well. This is one of the reasons Orangecon is considered one of the premiere model contests in Southern California. It is very well attended for this reason as almost all people entering can expect a fair and just outcome. This past weekend, we had over 400 entries on the tables, with some being collections; that brought us to probably more than 450 models. It was a great show!

Carlos, I'm looking forward to seeing you in November.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

I am impressed, Stick and happy to see that you fared very well.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you guys. I am hoping that in November and December I can close out the year on a similar note.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

As good as you are, I'm sure of it. You are fast becoming one of the guys to beat.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nah, that's still Mark Glidden, Jim Wechsler, Joe LeMusio, Brian Casteel... I am quite happy to place or show against those guys...

Tough crowd, tough crowd...

FLSM

Return to “Member Recognition”