MiniCraft 1/48 X5F-1

bubbasparksuk

Re: MiniCraft 1/48 X5F-1

Post by bubbasparksuk »

Great start Lyle, I'm tempted to get mine started early, but I've got 3 different Group Builds on currently, so might not be the best idea! :whistle:
Ben
Wirral I.P.M.S (UK)

http://www.bensbuilds.co.uk
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

bubbasparksuk wrote:Great start Lyle, I'm tempted to get mine started early, but I've got 3 different Group Builds on currently, so might not be the best idea! :whistle:
Thanks, Ben. Oh, go ahead and start another. Those Franken-builds are fun...after the parts get mixed up.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

bubbasparksuk wrote:Great start Lyle, I'm tempted to get mine started early, but I've got 3 different Group Builds on currently, so might not be the best idea! :whistle:
Same here, I got to clear out the bench before I can start something new. In june....maybe.
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

remember this pic

It now looks like

Why, you ask...or you may not. . .

But, if and when you start this one, pay attention to the parts and instructions. Here they tell you to look for the small circular indention...what we'd call an ejector mark. That was to be used to indicate the inboard (cockpit) facing side of the nacelle.

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!! There are small circular indentions all over the inside of the parts. At least three, on both of the pieces. So no one piece was unique. Now, if there is a way to install a part incorrectly, I have an uncanny knack for doing just that. And, I did. Why they could not have simply said, "Exhaust stack faces outboard." So, naturally, I glued it all up, filled, sanded, masked and painted around it. . . . only to finally figure out they were on the wrong side. So, off they came, more sanding and re-doing already done work. At least they came off clean and undamaged.

Here is what I mean....notice all the marks.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Oh man. That would drive me crazy.
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I'm pretty much already crazy, so no damage there! It is going back together somewhat painlessly. However, even the CA doesn't like to absolutely to this type of plastic. . . evidenced by the fact it came apart with some prying and there was no damage to the parts. I don't want to, but I may have to go to some expoxy.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I guess the instructions say to look for an indentation on the outside of the nacelle, not the inside... :hmm:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:I guess the instructions say to look for an indentation on the outside of the nacelle, not the inside... :hmm:
Not how I read it, but there is nothing on the outside of the lower pieces to indicate proper placement. But, I just went back and carefully read it. Sometimes, by brain doesn't work just as it should. That is not what it saw. In my defense, though, the small circular indention on the UPPER piece has no connection in the instructions to the lower nacelle halves. Certainly nothing definitive. Oh well.....it is back together and I went ahead and stripped the paint that was on the wing. It was too heavy and not curing as it should.

Now, where were we? I may claim credit for two builds on this one.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'll have to make a note of that.....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I'll have to make a note of that.....
yeah, you should. I think they should have specified something related to the lower halves. Anyway, exhaust faces out. I hope my pain is your gain! :headslap: :headslap:

Return to “Seeing Double! The Prop Twins GB”