MiniCraft 1/48 X5F-1

LyleW
Admin

Re: MiniCraft 1/48 X5F-1

Post by LyleW »

Well......it is official. I HATE WINTER. Fermis, you a a god for dealing with it as well as you do!

The paint would not "dry" or cure out. It stayed gummy. So, me and my trusty 0000 steel wool along with 91% IPA spent some quality time together with the XF5.
It has not been too difficult of a job and what is interesting is the IPA doesn't seem to be attacking the MM Acrylic Yellow. It sure is wiping out the Alclad and gloss black, though.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:Well......it is official. I HATE WINTER. Fermis, you a a god for dealing with it as well as you do!

The paint would not "dry" or cure out. It stayed gummy. So, me and my trusty 0000 steel wool along with 91% IPA spent some quality time together with the XF5.
It has not been too difficult of a job and what is interesting is the IPA doesn't seem to be attacking the MM Acrylic Yellow. It sure is wiping out the Alclad and gloss black, though.

:hmm: I'm no expert Lyle but I think you might have overdone the weathering on this one...
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You may be right, Stuart! Good one for sure. :drum: It does provide some interesting effects, though. A dio of a plane being stripped comes to mind.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:You may be right, Stuart! Good one for sure. :drum: It does provide some interesting effects, though. A dio of a plane being stripped comes to mind.
It'd be fun to enter it into a competition as an X5F-1 pre-restoration – I’d love to see the judge’s comments on that one!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Switched to the Alclad Aluminum and this time, I used a flat white base. My goodness. It is already dry.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Lyle, you have my full respect for fighting this one into submission! Good to see the silver paint is already on!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:Lyle, you have my full respect for fighting this one into submission! Good to see the silver paint is already on!
simple fight.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Much better!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks Stuart and Thomas. The neat thing about the steel wool is that is will polish the surface as it removes the paint. Smooth, huh?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This may be a dead, buried project. Need advice. Feeling pretty good about the finish.

Added the engines, after sanding the cowling opening flat.

Went to fit the cowl rings and much to my surprise ( :shocked: ) what did I see? :scream: They don't fit. By a LOT.

I glued up a spare from the "long nose" version. That kit has parts for both. . . . Didn't fit on that one, either, though not by as much.

Now what? Split the cowl ring and fill?

Try to make the cowling fit?

Trash it?

Return to “Seeing Double! The Prop Twins GB”