m-48 Patton in 1/35

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
LyleW
Admin

m-48 Patton in 1/35

Post by LyleW »

This has been one of my favorites for a long, long time. Built several as a kid and probably either blew them up or shot them up....Oh, those crazy young people. There are several available on ebay - Probably older Tamiya, Academy, Monogram, Testors, Italeri and so on. Who would be the best for a basic, OOB build? My prior experience would have been with Monogram that far back. There is an interesting Legend accessory set that seems reasonably priced, too....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: m-48 Patton in 1/35

Post by Thomas_M »

For ease of build, and in case no particular version is needed, I would go with Tamiya. There are new ones from Dragon, but in case Dragon still goes nuts with unclear instructions on a -zillion of versions I would not choose theirs...

There are more kits in 1/35 scale available than I knew:
http://www.scalemates.com/search.php?se ... &qs=Search

Set the filter to 1/35 to see those kits only.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks. I'll check that out.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tamiya's is hands down the easiest way to go. But it has accuracy issues, primarily with the suspension. Academy's M-48 kits are based off of the Tamiya kit and share those issues. But in its favor, if you want a late 105mm armed M48, it is the better way to go. Monograms M48 is older and simplified, but not bad for its age. With a little TLC it can be made into a very presentable M48, especially of the early gasoline powered variant. Dragon's new kit is hands down, at his time, the best out there, but not without its own flaws (and for the price that always kind of ticks me off about these new superkits from the Far East- they still need correcting, modifications and/or upgrades). And if you are looking for a Bundeswehr M48, Revell Germany has a M48A2GA2 due out in late summer/fall of this year.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

managed to get this one for $15

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Now that is a good deal! I think that paid around that much for mine back in 1985... ;) are you gonna make it Army or Marine Corps?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I'm thinking Army. Although I do have a weak Corp connection with my wife's brother-in-law...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The kit comes with a couple of good marking options for an Army M48.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

do you know anything about the Legend resin accessories? Thinking this might be a time to experiment...
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Lyle, you might want to see what LuckyModel has available from Legend in regards to your M48 project. They usually have free shipping worldwide for this brand:
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?se ... ock_only=N

Return to “Modeling Discussion”