1/72 Italeri F-5F

Fermis
Addicted Member

1/72 Italeri F-5F

Post by Fermis »

I dig me some F-5F and am fairly excited about this kit, however, looks like another case of new decals and a new box and it's a "new release". If I've done my proper research, this kit was originally released in 1982. I'm sure, that in 1982, this kit could have been called great. It's all relative! At this point, the kit is showing its age with the raised panel lines and slightly detailed gear bays. The pilots cockpit tub and IP have molded detail, which is not bad...but the back seaters tub has no detail, aside from the IP.

Both sprues come in one bag, along with the separately bagged clear parts (had a couple loose parts in this sample).
Even with the clear parts being in their own little bag, there's a nice scratch along the pilots canopy, and there is also a weird, warped look to it. I believe there's an inconsistency in the thickness that gives that look. The other two clear parts are "OK".

Just four simple steps, to an F-5!!!

Decals look real nice!

Four marking options.
Schweizer Luftwaffe, Fliegerstaffel 15. Switzerland...which is the one I'll be doing.

The other three are U.S. Agressors...VMFT-401 "Snipers" (USMC)...VFC-111 "Sun Downers", and VFC-13 "Saints".

Stikpusher

Re: 1/72 Italeri F-5F

Post by Stikpusher »

I wonder if that is originally the old ESCI 1/72 F-5F? :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thanks for this review, Fermis!

Reading about raised panel lines somehow show this kit´s age. Maybe it would have been more honest to call this "New decals" isntead of "New release"...
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Stikpusher wrote:I wonder if that is originally the old ESCI 1/72 F-5F? :hmm:
The ESCI molds came out just a year later in '83. Testors and Revell both reboxed the Italeri molds back in the 80's, Tamiya did so in the 90's. That's a well known kit I'd say.

Thank you for the review, Fermis!
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

The one thing I do not like is that you cannot make build it with the interesting load out the plane on the box art has. But those decals options indeed look very good. I love that Sundowners scheme.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:The one thing I do not like is that you cannot make build it with the interesting load out the plane on the box art has. But those decals options indeed look very good. I love that Sundowners scheme.
SUNUVA :headbang:

I hadn't even looked that far yet. That's what actually grabbed my attention and made me want to do that scheme. I am becoming a fan of asymmetrical loads.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Sorry to burst your bubble. :peace:

And yes, the box art load out is very cool. You can figure out something to make that, maybe scratch, maybe AM?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble. :peace:

And yes, the box art load out is very cool. You can figure out something to make that, maybe scratch, maybe AM?
I certainly could...after the OOB Review is done :bag:
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

If you are going with Sundowners then no full load out is needed. They used the F-5F for east coast aggressor training so you get some what of a reprieve there.
Get on it Jezza, whip it good!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Paul wrote:If you are going with Sundowners then no full load out is needed. They used the F-5F for east coast aggressor training so you get some what of a reprieve there.
Get on it Jezza, whip it good!
Right... I imagine that their standard load would be a captive Sidewinder (live seeker head with an inert motor body) on one wingtip rail, and an ACMI pod on the other rail, and maybe a centerline tank...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”