The Duke's GAABSA Builds.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: The Duke's GAABSA Builds.

Post by Duke Maddog »

Here's some more progress to show on some of my GAABSA models.

First off, I finally put an Oily Black wash on the Monkeemobile engine components. I was hoping to find my black wash also but I need to mix some new:

I wanted to make these parts look as if the car was used. After this, I masked off the windshield frame and painted it Chrome Silver, along with the hood tie-downs:

That's as far as I got with that so far. I hope to get more done on this soon.

Since I was working on my cars, I had re-shot a white coat on the Mach 5, then clearcoated it after it was dry. I then dipped the windscreen and headlight covers in Future to make them more clear and clean:

While those were drying, I pulled out the decals and applied them to the Mach 5:

Late on I'll seal these decals and then I can move forward on this car again.

That's all I have on those.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: Loving the Mach 5!!!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Loving that Mach 5 :P1: Great work Duke. That engine looks great too!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys! I'm starting to see the end of the line with this one. Hopefully I finish it soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, I just realized it's been forever since I updated this. Well, here it goes.

These are some of my GAABSA builds I completed:

First up: Go Speed Racer Go! This is my Polar Lights 1/24 scale Mach 5 from the TV cartoon Speed Racer:

Next up is my Revell 1/24 scale Monkeemobile from that old TV show "The Monkees". My sister and I used to watch that show all the time when we were kids. I just had to build this car:

This next one is a model I was commissioned to build by someone who loves early WWII aircraft. This is also one of my Modeler's New Years Resolution builds so I'm glad I finally got it done.

This is the ancient Airfix Handley Page Hampden in 1/72 scale. I built it out of the box, yet had to scratch an upper window on the top of the fuselage due to that part disappearing. I also had a bit of an issue with one of the tail decals that refused to release a portion of the decal for placement on the model. Overall it was about what I expected so I[m pleased with how this looks now. My client is also pleased with the model so far as well. Here it is finally completed and ready for deliver:

This final one is Academy's 1/72 scale Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser civilian airliner done in Pan American Airlines markings. This bird is the Pan Am 'Clipper Nightingale'. I chose these markings because they looked better than the alternative and not because of ease of application! Quite the opposite in fact. Here it is all complete:

Terminal-eye view:

Slightly higher angle from then rear:

Different angle again (I wanted to shoot from higher up but missed):

Final upper view:

This shot has an Exacto knife in it for size reference to show what a 'horse' this thing is!

Next here is some progress pics on another of my GAABSA builds; the Russian aircraft carrier:

I got the rest of the decals laid down on the deck. After two and a half hours, I finally succeeded in getting 98% of the deals laid down on this deck:

After awhile, I finished up the final six decals and then sealed this up:

Afterward, I completed applying the decals on the hull as well so now this bird farm is finally able to be completed:

And finally, here is the progress I made on the VW Bus when I worked to see how far I needed to go before I had to stop due to lost parts and such. From the get-go, I screwed up. As I was getting ready to add one of the windshield windows to this, it got messed up. My attempts to clean it turned out thusly:

I don't even know whether to try to clear that up or just try and add some different windows or something....

Moving on, I finished up the interior of this bus:

While trying to add the side doors to the one panel, I broke both the hinges and lost them; making me have to glue this door in:

The other one I was able to install properly so that it opens and closes. Oh well, our VW bus in my youth had the same problem with a stuck door so...

I went on and finished gluing all the side panels on to the chassis of the bus. Then I installed the one door on the front panel; this opens up too. Here are the two 'subassemblies' sitting side by side:

In putting this all together, I found out about two more parts that disappeared with the front door, the back window and the lower body panel below the engine door:

Later on I snapped the front end onto the model to check alignment of the doors and such:

It was actually still pretty flimsy and misaligned, so I snapped the roof on top to help the sides to all glue into place properly:

I could add the wheels to this, but I'll wait. Beyond the wheels, this is as far as I can get on this until I find the missing parts. Back to the Shelf of Shame for this one until further developments.....

Okay, so far that is all my progress and success on my GAABSA Builds. This Thread is now updated. Thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Great work on all the builds. Especially like the airliners.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Medic! It felt great getting some of these finished! Now to move on the rest of them....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

After a month of my life in total upheaval, I finally found some time to 'play' on the workbench. I was finally able to make some progress on one of my GAABSA builds....

After having masked this thing some time ago, I finally shot a coat of flat black to the underside and select areas on the space shuttle. Man that felt good making some progress on that for once:

Well that completes my small update. I'll be going back to work so I might not have much time to work on my models again for awhile, but at least I was able to get this much done. I'm thrilled.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Small but good progress Duke!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! I just wish I could get this monster finished!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Go Ahead You Styreniac, Build Something...Already”