1/32 Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 Zero - Limited Edition

jelliott523
Master Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 Zero - Limited Edi

Post by jelliott523 »

Thomas_M wrote:Hmm... :hmm:
I can see your pictures here. All looks fine.
I went through yesterday afternoon, after I discovered the issue and fixed everything and re-uploaded them. It was totally a "user-error" on my end. I had done some reorganizing of my PB albums and I forgot that moving the pictures from one album to another would mess up the links.
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Sorry all, haven't posted updates for a while. I have been working some on the review project and need to take some update pics. The kit is going together very nicely. No real issues popping up at the moment. I have decided not to include the pilot figure in the aircraft since it would cover up so much of the detail. I will likely still paint it up just because its such a nicely molded figure for 1/32. The interior detail is pretty decent and looks good. There are some things that could be added either sratchbuilt or resin that would take it to the next level; however, it isn't bad as is. I did take the liberty of adding some small details to make it more interesting to the eye. I'll take photos tonight and get them uploaded with more explanation.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

No hurry. Happy to see more pictures when done!
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

So a few minor updates, w/out pictures yet unfortunately. I did some work on this over the past couple of days and I've discovered a few issues, nothing critical, but something that could cause an issue if someone didnt do their research. The first, I was going through and doing some work on the lower wing and gear bays. I noticed on the instructions sheet, that the color call-out for the internal color of the gear bays and bay doors calls for Gunze C35 and is listed as Green (Mitsubishi). Since I dont use Gunze/Mr. Hobby colors I had to go hunting for an equivalent in another brand or a mixing guide. I went online and found that Gunze/Mr. Color C35 is actually called IJN Light Grey, NOT green as specified in the color callout on the sheet. I had also been looking at a lot of photos online and saw some of the aircraft had the blue Aotake coating on the interiors of the gear and gear bays. From what I could find, this was only applied to some Nakajima aircraft but not all.
The other issue that I have run into is some pretty distinct ejector pin marks on the interior surface of the gear bay doors. there are a total of 6 on the main gear door and 3 on the smaller, inner door. The main gear door will not be hard to fix. I've applied Perfect Plastic Putty to those and they should be invisible. the smaller ones on the inner gear door; however, will be more difficult as they are not going to be easily filled without destroying the surrounding detail.
After starting the construction of the engine, I'm finding that they did not complete the back side of the cylinder heads, so as long as you are looking at the front of the engine, all is good, if you decided to not cement the prop or cowl in place so that they can be removed to see the engine, the back side of the engine cylinders is not molded. I guess you could always get a resin replacement for this if that is the way you intend to build it. If you are cementing these features in place, then it wont be an issue since they cant be seen.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks! Sent the link to my contact - Should be on Hobbico's page today or tomorrow.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

I've got a few updates for this build. I have got the fuselage buttoned up and the wings attached. The fit of these parts was fantastic, no seams to worry about other than the wing roots.

I"ve also started to work on the engine. The detailing is actually pretty good, I'm contemplating adding some ignition wires to make it a little more detailed, even though it will be covered by the cowling. I may make the prop removable so that you can see this detail later.
*Note*, the black area is where I did some work on the seam lines on the top and bottom fuselage, they werent too bad to begin with; however, as soon as I shot the black primer on, they were definitely there. Filled with Perfect Plastic Putty and reprimed.
One issue I did come across was the ejector pin marks on the gear doors. I filled them with PPP and then sanded as best I could. The main gear doors aren't too big of a deal as the main gear struts will actually cover the marks; however, on the smaller doors, there are pin marks in the small triangular areas that were a pain to try to get rid of.

Here's a shot of the finished cockpit area after it was buttoned up. The belts were made from the foil off of a wine bottle.
And here is the kit as it sits today, primed all over with black Stynylrez and then sprayed a coat of AK Extreme Metal Duraluminum. I will then be coating with a matte clear and then a layer of Ammo of Mig Chipping effects fluid before painting the final colors. I intend to do some chipping and fading of the paint as I've seen in some photos of these aircraft.
Last edited by jelliott523 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is shaping up to be one very fine kit. Excellent fit and engineering all the way around. And of course a master builder doing the work...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Stikpusher wrote:That is shaping up to be one very fine kit. Excellent fit and engineering all the way around. And of course a master builder doing the work...
Thanks Stik! I dont think I would call myself a "master builder", but thank you for the compliment! As for the kit, I am absolutely loving it. I took it to the IPMS Boise meeting last month and several members were interested in it. Looking forward to getting it finished. Got some practice to do on a paint mule first to get the desired effects I'm going for. I need to play with the chipping fluid and a couple different methods of application.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

You do a great job on this beauty! Still having fun to follow your progress! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jelliott523 wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:That is shaping up to be one very fine kit. Excellent fit and engineering all the way around. And of course a master builder doing the work...
Thanks Stik! I dont think I would call myself a "master builder", but thank you for the compliment! As for the kit, I am absolutely loving it. I took it to the IPMS Boise meeting last month and several members were interested in it. Looking forward to getting it finished. Got some practice to do on a paint mule first to get the desired effects I'm going for. I need to play with the chipping fluid and a couple different methods of application.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”