New Build Area - Taking Shape

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
jelliott523
Master Member

New Build Area - Taking Shape

Post by jelliott523 »

Since I got back into modeling a few years ago, I had been using a small corner space in the upstairs bonus room of our home. While it was okay, it wasnt perfect. My desk/bench was on one side of the room and my spray booth was on the other end sitting on a small end table with crap lighting. After some discussions with the Mrs., she agreed that I could start to "renovate" the upstairs into a better build area.
I had been on the lookout for a new bench and chair and made plans to move everything to the other end of the room closer to the window and my spray booth. I found a very nice, adjustable-height workbench and a new chair on Craigslist and was able to get both for $60. I've got a long ways to go before it gets to what I envision; however, its starting to take shape. Next up, more display shelves and a new paint rack that will mount to the wall just left of the window. For now, here is what I've upgraded to:
Here is what I had before:
Last edited by jelliott523 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: New Build Area - Taking Shape

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good so far. Another tip: look into garage sales/estate sales for useful stuff. I'll bet you'll find some stuff you never thought of utilizing for a hobby room.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Hmm... :hmm: The first picture seems to have gone.
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Hopefully that fixed the picture, same thing with the earlier problem of moving stuff in PB and not changing the link to the new album.

As far as finding new things for the work space. The Macy's Dept. store next to our home is one of those that are closing. I was there last night and all fixtures and remaining items are on closeout. I picked up two 6' tall x 2' wide x 2' deep shelving units. They are chromed metal frames with plexiglas shelves. There are 6 shelves on each unit. I should be able to put at least 3 - 1/48 scale fighter aircraft on each shelf. Larger models, such as the TA-3B and B-17G and the AMK MIg-31 will likely take up a shelf of their own. I'll get some pictures tonight once I get them in place.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thanks, Jelliot! The picture is back!
Any idea when the AMK MiG-31 will hit the bench? Reminds me to do mine, some day...
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Hopefully sometime this Summer. I've got to finish the review of the Zero first. I've also got the TA-3B and a F-84G ahead of it. If....IF, I get some serious bench time soon. I hope to be able to start it then.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice setup! I like the paint racks.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”